No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Art Glass Vase~Murano? Scavo? Please help!  (Read 3057 times)

Offline reneesfabulous

• Members
Old Art Glass Vase~Murano? Scavo? Please help!
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:01:45 PM »
I found this unique art glass vase last weekend on one of my many "treasure hunts". I heard it is called "Scavo". It also looks very much like some of the ancient Rome/Greek glass. If this is Scavo, how do I find out if it's done by anyone in particular? The shape reminds me of an ancient style. I need to list this and would like to have some correct information.
Thanks so much!
Renee

Offline reneesfabulous

• Members
Re: Old Art Glass Vase~Murano? Scavo? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 10:02:46 PM »
The very last picture is not of my vase, but of an ancient Roman glass vase.
Thanks!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 06:51:21 AM »
Scavo is a method of imitating the effect of glass that has been buried for an extended period of time, that is, glass that has been excavated. It was developed in Murano but has been copied extensively elsewhere. I would guess that your piece is one of those copies.

Can I suggest you post the pictures directly to this Board and make them just a little bigger. That way the photos will be kept safely attached to the thread.

David

PS Here are two scavo pieces from Murano. The blue vase is from Cenedese and the bowl is from Barbini.
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »
very much the style of Lafiore and Gordiola, both located on Mallorca....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand