No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Murano Latticino/Zanfirico & Aventurine Glass?  (Read 9793 times)

Offline pamdiego

• Members
Is this Murano Latticino/Zanfirico & Aventurine Glass?
« on: March 30, 2011, 06:48:28 PM »
Given this when an elderly family friend died.  Can you tell me if it's Murano Latticino/Zanfirico?  Can't find any label or markings. 

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Is this Murano Latticino/Zanfirico & Aventurine Glass?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:08:09 AM »
I can't make out whether the white stripes are one solid stripe or made up of many little threads which have been twisted. If the white is solid, then not zanfirico, but filigrana. I would say, yes, Murano.  

PS I'm letting my "change the world" side of me have a little outing right now and I'm trying to stop the use of latticino, which is not a term used in Murano. Zanfirico is more appropriate. I know, I should care about more important matters---and I do-- but a man's got to have one windmill to tilt at occasionally.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 07:18:59 AM »
Hard to see if there is any aventurine or not too.  Any copper sparkly bits around the sides of the twisted pink ribbons?  If not, then no aventurine.

David, I have to admit, in my ebay listings I have "Latticino/Zanfirico" used quite a bit.  I never was too sure of the difference, so thanks for that, consider me "changed".  :)

Where does the term latticino come from then if it's not from Murano?  It sounds very Italian!  :P

Offline pamdiego

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:44:42 PM »
Does this picture help?  Yes, it has copper trimming each pink ribbon.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »
Ah yes much better, zanfirico + aventurine it is.  :)

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »
What a lovely piece.  I would think it is certainly Murano and in most descriptions it would be called latticino because the white sections look like a lattice of thin white strands.  As has been pointed out above it is perhaps more correctly called zanfrico.  The coppery edges to the twisted pink stripes are as far as I know aventurine.  So the answer to your query from my perspective is Yes & Yes  :thup:

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 02:56:29 PM »
Thought I would add that the filigrana and rim look a lot like AVeM. Is the bowl footed?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline pamdiego

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 03:01:13 PM »
The bowl (more like an art piece than a bowl because of the folded-over lip) is not footed. 
P.S. Thanks to all of you for your help!

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 06:25:44 PM »
It also looks to me to be by AVeM.  They made the zanfirico bowls in all kinds of ways and also other items using the same technique.  I have a footed bowl made by AVeM but the ribbon is blue instead of pink.  I like the pink.  

http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/picture.php?pictureid=363&albumid=21&dl=1256519886&thumb=1

http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=361

tam bam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand