No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Info. for Lyndhurst44  (Read 2530 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Info. for Lyndhurst44
« on: January 20, 2006, 12:35:00 PM »
:D :D :D
Hello, I've just had a look at the Isle of Wight Studio Glass forum, and I see you've asked about Azurene-style Stuart-Strathearn pieces - they were designed by Iestyn Davies, later of Blowzone.
These pieces are later than IOWSG, obviously! I can't get signed into the IOWSG forum, I've forgotten my password, or the  site's forgotten me. I've tried every password I use!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Azurene
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 06:36:57 PM »
Thanks Sue, got the message, although the perfume bottle still puzzles me a little. I've had 3 messages to date telling me it is Isle of Wight. All very confusing. i listed them on Ebay and entered the first question response from a person in the Netherlands and really caught the brunt of an isle of Wight fans anger so I have not shown any other question responses. It may well be Stuart or even another maker, it is all quite confusing.
Never mind I picked up 6 super pieces today including one which could be, dare I say it, Isle of Wight :shock:  A very Psychedelic  looking pink vase :!:  I will take a picture of all and await some responses.
Bryn (not Brian)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Info. for Lyndhurst44
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 07:31:50 PM »
:D:D:D
Hello again,

Two features that distinguish Stuart-Strathearn from IOWSG (apart from the obvious marks!)

1. The colour of the glass. S-S glass is almost black, if you hold it up to a strong light, it will show that it is actually "splodgy" purple. IOWSG always has a distinct colour that is a base to the foil. Black is actually dark blue, when you hold it up to light the texture of the colour is finely grained.

2. Polish. S-S most often have polished rims. IOWSG are normally heat-finished.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Info. for Lyndhurst44
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 07:35:51 PM »
Hi Bryn that was me from NL. Sorry for causing a stir :shock: was it because it is IOW and he wanted it cheap?

Iestyn Davies did work at IOW as part of his degree course but he did not design the gold on black for them.

When he later did the designs for Stuart Strathearn, his first job after college, it created a lot of anger from IOW end, but I presume they did not stop making them.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
azurene.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 08:27:40 PM »
No problem, Frank, thanks for your input anyway. You only gave your opinion and I would welcome that anytime.
Regards,
Bryn (not Brian)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand