No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart style with Fake Label on eBay  (Read 5040 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Ysart style with Fake Label on eBay
« on: January 20, 2006, 01:15:33 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've just noticed this fine example of Ysart style glass that is available on ebay complete with an example of a fake label:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-MONART-STONEWARE-YSART-GLASS-VASE_W0QQitemZ7383673986QQcategoryZ64876QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pieces like this, with the same dark brown surface enamelled exterior having an internal white surface were prevailant in the late 1980's and early 1990's. The labels were added by a dealer working at that time - which is what made them fraudulant. Once out in the big wide world it becomes a matter of experience and knowledge (see Frank's site for similar examples).

I must emphasis that this does NOT reflect on the seller, who has not had time to reply to an email as yet.

I felt the piece should be high-lighted for potential buyers. It is a good example of its type, but not Monart.

Nigel :)

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 03:59:17 PM »
Hi Nigel
           Keith (Luckyslap) phoned me last night regarding this piece and i thought that it looked very much like Strathearn with a fake label, i have seen small Strathearn vases in the same shape with a different coloured liner with original Strathearn label on them, also a little later Frank emailed me asking my thoughts on it being Strathearn with fake label as well (great minds think alike :lol:  :roll: ) so could it be a piece of Strathearn???
                                Gary

He said let there be light and there was 30+ Ysart ones(two surface :shock: )
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:29:30 PM »
Hi Gary,

Having handled a number of these some 15 or so years ago I, along with a number of reputed Ysart glass collectors of the time and a glass restorer, concluded that it was not anything to do with Monart, Vasart or Strathearn.

Broadly speaking you are right that this vase resembles a Strathearn shape, however there was a general conviction at that time that these pieces were not from any of those companies.

You should also find that this one has an oily irridescent surface/finish, which is not consistant with anything recorded to date. These were seen with varying amounts of irridecence in those days.

The workmanship was poor. There also were enough about then to note that the shapes, although broadly the same, differed considerably in the diameter of the rim and the overall height of the vase. There were also other shapes, in the same colourway, that did not conform to any known and recorded.

Nigel :)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 07:22:42 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've just had an email from the seller, who has told me that he is withdrawing the piece from the eBay sale. I have suggested that he may want to market it in a different way through eBay - so watch that space :wink:

Nigel

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 10:09:09 AM »
:) Hi Nigel,
                  thanks for your reply regarding the maker of this piece with the fake label, i have taken everything in that you say, but there is one thing i have to mention, as you know i and others thought Strathearn whilst you have said not, but you mention this piece has an oily finish and as you know Strathearn has a salmon pontil and as you also may know salmon is a very oily fish :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  so it could be Strathearn yes??? :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
                   Gary
he said let there be light and there was 30+Ysart lamps (oh now 3 surface)
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 02:01:23 PM »
:twisted:
They don't have white interiors though!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 03:37:03 PM »
There haveen some Strathearn's with white interiors. But the giveaway on this was the pontil.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 12:24:16 AM »
Hi,

Frank, do you happen to have any images of other Strathearn pieces with white liners/insides? I couldn't find  one on your site, but maybe I'm just being a little dim and missing the obvious!! Or perhaps there's a link to one elsewhere?

Thanks, Nigel

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 06:04:09 AM »
Maybe in the backlog, I have a lot of Strathearn material to add to the site... watch this space... but don't expect too much soon :?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 09:16:08 AM »
:D:shock::D

I'd love to see a pic. of Strathearn with white insides too! I've never seen one before.

I take it these are very rare indeed, Frank?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand