No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My new vase. Murano?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline RWJones

• Members
My new vase. Murano?
« on: March 30, 2011, 11:50:31 PM »
Hello to everyone!

I am a new member of your message board and this is my first post.  I found you by searching for info on a vase I just acquired.  I have long been an enthusiast of high quality craftsmanship especially in antique furniture, china, and art glass.  I'm at long last in a position where I can think about actually owning a few pieces rather than just drool at the antique shops.

I just bought this nice little vase because I thought it was European sommerso.  A member of another forum (Fossilfly) told me it was not sommerso.  He added it was of the type imported by J.I.&Co.  I was wondering if anyone here can look at the photos below and tell me anything about it.  It has no labels or markings.  The bottom is partially ground.

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

Richard

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Re: My new vase. Murano?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 02:03:40 AM »
Okay, point number 1: Welcome to the happy gang  :girlcheer:

Point number 2: Pretty, pretty, pretty  :smg:

Point number 3: those that know what to look for will wish to have a peek at the bottom. Could you give us a picture of that as well?

If I remember correctly, JI was an importer of glass that came from Murano, Italy (major, major glass works). Not sure where else they imported from.

Carolyn

Offline RWJones

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:13:51 AM »

Point number 3: those that know what to look for will wish to have a peek at the bottom. Could you give us a picture of that as well?

If I remember correctly, JI was an importer of glass that came from Murano, Italy (major, major glass works). Not sure where else they imported from.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Point 1 - I see you are from Calgary.  My mother was born in a little town called Daysland not far from there.  I've been there a few times and liked it.

Point 2 - I'll get you those photos as soon as I can.

Point 3 - Yes, JI was in importer but they had their own furnace in Venice.  They also imported from other companies as well, or so I'm told.  I'd just like to get some background on this piece because of personal interest.  I don't like to have strangers in my house. :ooh:

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Richard

Offline RWJones

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 04:52:45 PM »

Carolyn

Carolyn,

I finally had a chance to get those photos of the base you mentioned and a couple more.  Here they are.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Richard

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 03:25:51 AM »
I know Daysland. I had to look it up on Mapquest the other day. Was part of a teleconference with somebody from a hospital there :-)

Unfortunately, I know nothing about your lovely vases.

Carolyn

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 12:38:16 PM »
Hi

What a great piece.  Nice and chunky and very typical of glass produced in the 50s 60s period in Murano.  Lovely colours - Well done to you

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Offline Glass_Lulham

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 02:20:19 PM »
Congratulations Dean, you can tell a lot of work has gone into this one. :)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 03:07:13 AM »
If I've commented on this before, my apologies.  I think it's very likely that this is Jordan's Importing model #1305, a "fluted vase 10 1/2 inches high; choice of duotone colours: amber/green..."  It seems JI  had a furnace in Murano. Whereas the pieces imported by other US importers can be linked to known Murnao producers, JI glass seems different from the rest. According to the owner's daughter, this is because the owner, who lived in New York, designed most of the pieces. So definitely Murano, but not sommerso.  You'll find a fair bit of JI glass on eBay in North America and in antique stores across Canada.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 05:33:27 AM »
Here is some pics of some JI Co items:  http://gallery.blancoglass.com/main.php

Also I think those jags at the top are referred to as *scissor cuts* because they kinda look like that...  and of course .  I am also a on FF too, as lots of us are...
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand