No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: But is it a paperweight?  (Read 11080 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 10:09:07 AM »
Quote from: "David555"
these weights can be bought for under £50.00 on eBay. I sold about twenty last year and got only £35 for some real crackers.

:shock:  :shock:  :shock: Adam!  Please, please, pretty pretty please!  If you ever get any more to sell, can I have first dibs on them?   :D  :D  :D

£50 each? :?  Why do I never see  them?   :x  :roll:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 04:24:03 PM »
Quote from: "Leni"
Why do <i>I</i> never see  them?   :x  :roll:

Leni your brackets are wrong to make the I an italic one. The angle brackets <  and > are html code, the board uses BB code so to get italic letters you need to use square brackets  [ and ] instead...  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 06:33:51 PM »
Quote from: "Anne"
Quote from: "Leni"
Why do I never see  them?   :x  :roll:

Leni your brackets are wrong to make the I an italic one.

Anne, I'm puzzled.  As far as I can see on my screen my <> brackets work - the text comes out italicised!   :?

I know I do get confused about whether I am posting on the message board or on my d-i-l's blog and which brackets to use, but I have used <> italics here and it seemed to work, and [] italics here and it also worked!  :shock:  

You are obviously not seeing what I'm seeing!   :?
Leni

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 10:41:54 PM »
Very true Leni - i'm not seeing what you're seeing.  :? When you use the < > brackets I see them and the letters in between them. When you use the [ ] brackets I see only the effect on the letters, so your I becomes I.

I wonder if the Disable HTML in this post box below the message creation window is a factor here and why? Mine is ticked, whereas the Disable BB code one isn't. I shall have a play and see what happens (I never use html in messages on boards as bb code works just fine).

OK so as an experiment I've unticked the Disable HTML box and used the < > and html tags around this next sentence - let's see what it looks like.

This sentence is italicised with html tags in angle-brackets.

Yup, in Preview I now see the above sentence in italics - but that setting should not explain why I should not see your post in italics as my posting setting should not affect how your messages look to me!  :shock:

Edited after posting to add that although in Preview the sentence was in italics, when I post the message and then read it it is shown in < angle brackets > again. This is crazy, I shall put my tech hat on and see if I can figure out why it's being so contrary!!!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David555

• Members
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 01:04:29 AM »
Hi

Thanks Kev - I thought someone might recognise the lampwork, but I can see what you mean. In this sense it hasn't helped with the eBay lampwork except to show the obvious that they are by JD - although I still feel the petals are different on the eBay one compared to my weights and Ray's. I picked up fifty odd JD weights (sold some) and can see what you mean. I didn't pay too much and I agree with what you say, I was never impressed with the settings. I mean look at Ray's J glass 1980 next to the Phoenix paperweight - what a difference!

Thanks for showing this weight Ray – its soooooo perfect

Standards seem to have slowly lowered from the 1980s on for general retail weights. I have handled some commissioned / special pieces that are from same period and the setter / lampworker has been more careful

A good example is this weight from 1995 - 8 years earlier than the others I posted - it's a retail weight but the quality is so different – is there evidence that JD standards slowly slipped?

Maybe I am wrong and my 2002 onwards weights are rejects :shock:  :shock:

LOL Adam P LOL
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 04:06:42 AM »
When examining weights which cover many years of work, there will very likely be differences in quality from any maker (except, perhaps, for such as Perthshire Paperweights, where very strict, almost perfectionist, rules of the main lady scrutineer were applied).

My understanding is that when JD was producing the J Glass weights, special care was applied to each weight to ensure that it would compete in what proved to be a very tough market for the best quality items. I think today's thinking is more about making a living than trying to be the best all the time.

I don't find it surprising that current weights show a range of quality, particulary those produced at the cheaper end of the market.
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 04:18:49 AM »
Ray, just out of interest ...

... can you please take a close look at the leaves on Rosie's lampwork flower and check the edges and underside, too. Do the stripes seem to be separate applications? Are there stripes on the underside?

In most lampwork I have seen, the stripes in the leaves or petals (and even in stems) seems to be the result of flattening out a regular length of "cog" cane, often with 6 or 8 rinbs, and the stripes showing where the ribs were set. But in that example of Rosie's it seems different - as if three lengths of yellow have been set on the upper side of a flattened strecth of green and then the whole leaf shaped to a point.
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 05:45:39 AM »
yes Kev the yellow stripes are a separate application
cheers Ray

Offline Nadine

• Members
    • Paperweights24.com
John Deacons Lampwork
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 10:58:22 AM »
Hello :-)

What a nice discussion about my lampwork item  :lol:

Here are some more pictures of the items I have, they are all from John Deacons, made in December last year:

To see a bigger picture, please click the this Link:
http://www.paperweights24.de/bilder/lw/

If you think, my ebay price was to high - just make me an offer  :wink:

Have a nice sunday!

Best wishes
Nadine

Offline Leni

• Members
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 11:06:52 AM »
Lovely, Nadine!    :shock:  Lucky you!     :D

I have no idea what such lampwork as your John Deacon example would be 'worth', so I have no idea if your ebay price was too high or not, but I wouldn't have thought it had come on the market often before now, so it's a bit of an unknown area!  

I have some lovely Allan Scott lampwork, but I wouldn't ever sell it as it was a present  :D
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand