No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: But is it a paperweight?  (Read 11265 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
But is it a paperweight?
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:34:31 PM »
Lovely piece of kingsize lampwork but...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7383034798

Is there a category for this?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 06:56:43 PM »
It's paperweight lampwork!  Where else would you put it but in the paperweight category?  It's where I'd expect to find it!   :shock:  :roll:  :wink:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:04:57 PM »
I'd be tempted if it had started a bit lower.

Offline RAY

• Members
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 11:01:56 PM »
it's abit on the steep side
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 11:10:24 PM »
Nice piece of lampwork ... and yes, as it is a typical element included in paperweights, then I agree with Leni.

If it had been a "sculptural lampwork" item, such as the 3D pieces set on onyx base that Duncan Smith produced after the closure of Perthshire Paperweights, then some folk may have said it was more suited to the general Glass catgegory. But paperweights purists would probabely insist that it would be a "paperweight-related object". Which is what the lampwork flower is.

But is there actual evidence that this lampowrk flower was made by John Deacons himself? It may be so, but the eBay listing does not seem to offer confirmation. John has had many assitants over the years and in many of his weights the lampwork has been made by other people. Currently, John's lampworkers include Rosie Fleming, Duncan Smith and Willie Manson.
KevinH

Offline David555

• Members
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 11:32:35 PM »
Hi Kev

I thought seeing similar lampwork flowers in recent JD paperweights might help us assess the lampwork flower on eBay said to be by him, it may also help you with the identifying one of the assistants you talk about. These paperweights are 2002 onwards.

All these are a selection from my own collection

Paperweight 1

Paperweight 2

Paperweight 3

Paperweight 4

Paperweight 5

Paperweight 6

The 'King-size' description is a bit weird as it scans with the size of the lampwork in my weights?

I also don't believe it is as old as they are saying - I think it’s pretty new.

I see similarities but as Frank states not enough to pay that price; these weights can be bought for under £50.00 on eBay. I sold about twenty last year and got only £35 for some real crackers. If I was going to buy I would want a ID cane to go with it.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline RAY

• Members
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 11:43:59 PM »
i have some lampwork by Rosie Fleming, this is the best one below

cheers Ray

Offline David555

• Members
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 11:56:32 PM »
That is a superb piece of lampwork Ray - much better than the one being sold on eBay IMHO

What it shares in common with the eBay one and the flowers in my weights is the centre made up from tiny beads of glass. That is such a JD thing (was this standard practice with all lampwork flowers regardless of the designer, it's like a JD signature)

I am more assured that the eBay flower is J Deacons - except note the flower petals on Ray's piece and in my weights - then look at the eBay items petals

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 12:08:40 AM »
Thanks Adam, but it doesn't really help, unless we already know what features can identify a particular lampworker. In most cases the lampworkers are never identified.

All most folk (myself included) can say, is that those weights, having a JD signature cane, were made by John Deacons but the lampork ... not easy to tell. There may be folk who can recognise the elements, but I am not one of them!

However, it's interesting to note the different forms of workmanship across the weights, both in the lampwork and the setting in the weight. My own view is:
1 has good work and setting
2 is quite poor, with parts not connecting as they should and even the sig cane is at an angle
3 is ok but again the sig cane loses out
4 this is best of all, in all respects
5 hmm ... what's that central flower doing ... wilting? And the red "leaves" of the pink flower don't seem too well balanced
6 this is ok but lacks something I can't quite identify

My comments are based on my perceived quality of the finished article and my personal tastes. Even the poorer examples take skill to produce.
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
But is it a paperweight?
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 12:21:26 AM »
hi Adam

John usually only make's the weight's but sometimes lampwork as far as i'm aware,
like Kev said is it by John?, lampwork can look the same as in the 2 weights below, the one on the right is by J glass 1980, lampwork by Allan Scott the one on the left is Phoenix paperweights 2002, lampwork by Rosie Fleming

i will try and catch Allan Scott so he can say his 2p's worth, if anybody know's lampwork he does

cheers Ray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand