No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID for amber glass vase with protruding knobs! - ID = Wiktor Berndt Flygsfors  (Read 3449 times)

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
apologies for the description but what else could I say?   I can't find anything like this in my glass books and don't know where to start looking... from a position of ignorance I'm thinking Scandinavian ....as  it provokes thoughts of   :vkg:  Saga's in some deep recess of my mind...... any ideas welcome

cheers steph  :sun:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: ID for amber glass vase encased in leather with protruding knobs!!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »
sorry I just had to modify my entire post as I didn't read properly and thought they were metal encased  :ooh:
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 07:36:46 AM »
Is it leather or a metal of some sort?

Reminds be of Wiktor Berndt's tribal designs for Flygsfors: http://www.burgh-le-marshfurnishings.co.uk/Signed%20and%20designed%20by%20Wiktor%20Berndt%20for%20Flygfors%201960s.jpg

John

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 10:24:41 AM »
 :hi:  Hi John, it looks like metal to me, seems to have been patinated (is that the right term?) and I can only imagine that the glass has been blown through the 'collar' so that the square blobs protrude... it is a strange mix of naivety and sophistication..... thanks for your help I shall go and have a search.   :thup:cheers steph.

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 10:31:58 AM »
  M, don't apologise, my mistake. I've had a good look at the vase and what I thought was leather seems to be metal with a strange patinated finish.  John has given me a lead so I'm off to do a search...cheers steph.  :wsh:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 08:53:10 PM »
 :rah:  that is what I was going to suggest as well - gosh, all that internet searching has paid off (must have been when I was looking at the tribal plate or something recently) when I can actually remember something - should have had a good search then I would have realised it was metal.  Well done John!
m

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:56:14 PM »
                                                                       :cheers:

Dear John & M,. thanks for taking an interest.   I'm thrilled as I also found another reference on a US site called Violettistar or some such thing.... So it looks as if I can put a name and period of production to my vase.  :hiclp:

M, sorry for sending your little grey cells off on a wild goose chase with the mention of leather.....

cheers steph   :hi:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand