No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: wrong sticker on W/Fs. decanter??  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
wrong sticker on W/Fs. decanter??
« on: March 31, 2011, 07:11:53 PM »
this is the rear end of a 'Glacier' textured decanter - and with my limited knowedge - coupled with looking at the W/Fs. catalogues  -  I thought that the pattern No. was M142.
Has someone perhaps put the wrong sticker on the piece do people think.    The body and stopper carry matching Nos., which in this case is 83  -  is there any significance in the No. that is allocated??

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: wrong sticker on W/Fs. decanter??
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 11:51:57 AM »
You should give us a photo of the whole decanter as well.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 12:44:06 PM »
Definitely the wrong sticker, Paul!  M147 was the 'Trojan' decanter and glasses, which are untextured.  The 'Glacier' textured set was definitely M142.  

See here: http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/memb1/cat-72/p33.jpg

No, the number 83 on the decanter and the stopper has no significance other than to link the right ones together.  
Leni

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 01:22:16 PM »
Hi Leni, and my thanks for your confirmation - just an error by the 'label sticker person' I guess :)

ross - I can add a proper picture of this decanter if you still wish  -  although since Leni has now included a link to an image, hope this will sufice.   I will remember for you next time :)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 03:21:56 PM »
Like to see the full picture too Paul if it's not too much trouble.
cheers Chris :sun:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 07:32:46 PM »
some of these clear pieces aren't the easiest to photograph (for me) - so hope it looks o.k.     Unfortunately, Leslie Jackson doesn't show a picture of this, and although I believe there are two sizes, I couldn't seem  to find the data on W/Fs. catalogue.    I need the bigger book, obviously.     The body on this one measures 10.25"  - and top to toe (taking into account the stopper) a little over 13".

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 07:46:48 PM »
That's the one Paul, not sure about the different sizes though it does say 3 in the catalogue? pretty sure it means variation in size over the years more than definite sizes like a small, medium and large variation.
Should be numbered on the neck and stopper?
Just need the glasses now then.
Chris

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 07:56:16 PM »
.................."Should be numbered on the neck and stopper?"..........I'm mortified Chris..........you aren't reading my posts ;D     But seriously, I got the impression that the implication was that there were indeed proper different sizes.    However, I was probably wrong then, but I will keep an eye out for the glasses.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 08:23:31 PM »
Oops sorry Paul I am reading them just not properly :-[ think I was drawn by the photo and started there :ooh:
Chris

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 01:43:20 PM »
I believe the Trojan decanter was also used for various cut decanters as i have Harrow -  Pinner and a couple of others in that shape
and dare i say up in the loft i have loads of the textured decanters all shapes plus glasses, all shapes IE large whisky small whisky sherry port high ball jugs , but at the moment i dont believe they sell for much . :cry: :cry: :cry: :hi: ps and a Pinner ships decanter and glasses that cost several weeks wages when they were made . :cry: :hi:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand