No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large patchwork effect vase - ID = Anzolo Fuga Bandiere vase for Avem  (Read 3402 times)

Offline maxxxxy

• Members
Greetings to all.  I hope I've come to the right place, and thanks in advance to anyone that can help.  I've recently obtained a large glass vase, pictures attached.  There is a very faint signature in the pontil that I that might be S__J__ or it might not.  I may be seeing things.  This vase was reportedly purchased in Chicago ca. 1941.  Any ideas on manufacturer, or other info?

Thanks again,
Maxxxxy

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Need an ID please
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 04:04:02 AM »
Hello Maxxxxi and welcome to the board  :).

May you give us the measurements of your vase, please, as well as a photo of the signature, up close?  I'm sure it would be a tremendous help in pinning down a maker.

:hi:

P.S.  In the subject, it's always a good idea to be descriptive -- that way, you can attract the attention of more people.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 06:47:59 AM »
Looks like it's Pezzato technique, try a search on this board for more information.  I have to say, the base looks curiously shiny and new for something apparently bought in 1941....   :huh:

I am not a man

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 09:13:54 AM »
If the base is concave edge to edge there would only be a very thin line of wear on the very edge , sometimes hard to see  .
Is your base like that or has the edge been flatted ? need a better picture .

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 10:06:56 AM »
'pezzato' - maxxxxy - just for the benefit of those of us that didn't know, means 'patchwork' - and as you might imagine is Italian in origin.    To my eyes, the base look uniformly flat ground/polished  -  but it does seem that there is a central concave ground and polished pontil mark (that little dip in the middle of the base).   Am I correct?
The presence, or otherwise, of wear - on the base of a piece of glass is (usually) very significant, and important, in assessing age, so look forward to your replies.   Welcome, by the way, to the GMB :)

Offline maxxxxy

• Members
Additional information re vase
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 02:29:45 PM »
Thanks to all who have replied!  About the vase- it's 13 1/2" high, 8 1/2" diameter at the top, 5" at the bottom.  The bottom is finely ground with a round depression in the center as shown in this additional photo.  The top edge is formed, not ground.  There are several bubbles in the glass...the clear panels were built up in ribbons.  The overall glass thickness is ~1/2"- this is a heavy piece.  There is a fair amount of wear on the vase, on the bottom, scratches on the sides, and some wear around the top rim.  Looks like it was rolled on the floor at least once. 

The signature/mark is in the center of the round depression on the bottom. It appears to have been made with a vibratory etcher.  It is a single line, starts out faint and goes to practically nothing.  It may start with an SS(?).  It is so small and faint that my poor camera can't capture it.

I have reason to believe the vase is in fact ca 1940-41 or earlier.  It comes from an old estate, and the story of it's purchase was told to me by a woman who was a child at the time. 

Thanks again for all of your help!
Maxxy

Offline maxxxxy

• Members
Identified- Anzolo Fuga Bandiere vase
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »
Note to all...I've found my vase.  The pezzato search recommendation did the trick, on google images.  Thank you all!!! :smg:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6872316

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 03:28:14 PM »
congrats. maxxxxy  -  nothing quite like starting with an absolute corker :hiclp: :thup:

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »
Oh wow, that's fantastic! 

Maxxxxy, the vase went for a hammer price of $6,875:
http://www.wright20.com/auctions/view_search/JD2W/JD2X/668/LA/anzolo_fuga/JJFO

:hi:

Offline maxxxxy

• Members
Re: Large patchwork effect vase - ID = Anzolo Fuga Bandiere vase for Avem
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 07:30:11 PM »
Thanks Anik, and thanks again to all GMB'rs.
Maxxxxy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand