No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: BAROLAC  (Read 5794 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: BAROLAC
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 10:19:09 AM »
Hello Marcus,

Thank you for the clarification and for the explanation of the techniques used for creating metallic finishes. I had considered electroplating though as I understand that in certain processes for silvering glass an initial conducting surface treatment is fired on, then silver is subsequently electroplated onto this conductive surface.

I suspect that the initial treatment would be as you suggest, a lacquer applied and reheated but this could then be used to provide a conductive surface for the electrodeposition. I feel that this has been used in this case as the silver layer is quite thick.

Sklounion

Re: BAROLAC
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 11:18:11 AM »
Hi Steven,

I had not considered the use of preparatory conductive treatment. However the use of a lustre to deposit the initial electro-conductive surface means that, particularly as gold and silver are fine conductors, a thin initial treatment would allow the vase to be used as the cathode, within the electro-plating process, for further enhancement of the depth of decoration.

Regards,

Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand