No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Modern English Decanter? - ID = Dartington FT167  (Read 2093 times)

Offline bOBA

• Members
Modern English Decanter? - ID = Dartington FT167
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:10:20 PM »
Hello!
I have an unusual attribution issue for me, being a decanter and not a piece from a factory I am familiar with. But, I am hoping this decanter is familiar to some forum members!

It is quite likely a common enough thing, but I would like to know what and when if possible please.... I am guessing it is 20 years old or so, it has a polished pontil rod mark to the base, a nicely ground stopper and just looks like a nicely made serviceable thing. It has a pleasing ripple decor to the sides and front that I am guessing is a mould blown feature. Any information is very welcome.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Modern English Decanter?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:34:48 PM »
If it is about 235mm high and holds around 950ml then it it is from Dartington and designed by Frank Thrower (FT167, known by factory staff as 'Show stopper' and made in clear only). Info from Dartington Glass, The First Twenty Years (ISBN 978-0-9556095-0-3).

John

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 03:19:01 PM »
That is great news John. It sounds good to me, it is indeed 235mm including stopper. Dartington seems very likely indeed from your description. It is an attractive piece of glass design, the ripples create a very nice effect.... (Must be the most rapid attribution in GMB history too, thanks!)

Robert (bOBA)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 04:41:39 PM »
Because of the ripples they are often on Ebay wrongly attributed as Whitefriars . :hi:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »
I have just been to see my Dad, I had forgotten but he has one too that lurks in his kitchen.

Dartington also made a taller square decanter in the same style - FT168 (forgot to mention the design date for these two is 1974)) and an earlier (shorter and wider) square decanter FT85 designed in 1968 or 69 which was made in clear midnight and kingfisher. All have unpolished stoppers and those characteristic ripples.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand