No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns  (Read 112217 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 11:41:21 AM »
Quote from: "shopping-list"
I've found my really unusual one printed on both sides!

I've found one with the pattern of "Bouquet" identified on it's original box.

I've found my "Night Sky" tray.

:shock: Wonderful :lol:

Can't wait to see them. Didn't realise you had a Night Sky, so if your photo is better, and with your permission, I'd like to use it. I see from the Smethwick Heritage Centre's stock list that they have a dish with "white zig-zag pattern" – I wonder if that's a Night Sky pattern?

Bouquet isn't mentioned anywhere, so that might be one for the 'Other' pile. A photo of the label would also be most welcome.

I think I will have to start a 'Shapes' page to complement the Patterns. Hopefully this shouldn't prove too hard to catalogue (ha!) :roll:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 12:08:12 PM »
Hi David  :D

As you know, I've got about three boxes full of Chance glass - I'll have a look through them next week, and see if there's anything interesting in there.

I've got the carafe in Calypto and Swirl, but I think you've probably got pics of those?

Oh yeah, I have to photograph my very earlier frosted Chance 'Boer' ashtray!  I'd forgotten about that!
I am not a man

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 12:20:21 PM »
Hi Max,

Great, many thansk! They must be big boxes though? :wink:

I only have a Swirl carafe, but did you know there are two different shapes? One angles down to the base, and the other (which you don't see as often) has an angled belly :shock:

I've also included your trippy flower design: do you think this might be Clematis?

Is the Boer ashtray Fiesta? Never mind, I'll be looking at Chance pre-1950 eventually so will gladly include the photo. Thanks.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 02:12:19 PM »
:D:D:D
Hello again!

Max's trippy flower thing isn't Clematis.  :cry:
I've got a boxed, labelled (but not with the name) frilly plate that has clematis flowers on it. The flowers are blue and pink, realistic. The label is the later angled type of script.

The boxed "Bouquet" dish doesn't have it's Chance label. It has one with the union flag (it's only the "jack" on board ships) on it, stating British Manufacture. The label on the reverse is a plain white rectangle, with "Bouquet" printed at the top and 166 written on in biro.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 02:43:21 PM »
Hi Sue,

Max's trippy flower thing isn't Clematis.

If it's yellow it's a daffodil and red is a rose. That's my limit!

Glad to see someone else identifying the Union FLAG and JACK properly! Always irks me when even BBC presenters call it 'Jack'... :evil:

Yes, the flag logo was always stuck on the clear plastic lid, but quite often drops off. Not terribly common, but definitely IDs it as Chance.

Please Note:
There was also a US company called 'Houze' that traded from 1902-2004 (closed down on Christmas Eve - oh what fun the employees had that Christmas! :( ) who made virtually identical slumped float glassware. I have a 1969 Lunar Landing plate that is boxed very similarly and it's only the 'Chance-like' label that tells me who made it. I'll post a photo later.

Houze mainly concentrated on mottoware and crestware so might not cause a problem; another good reason for not cataloguing Chance versions I suppose, as there could be a lot of confusion!

I also have come across a 1960s orange plate that looks like Chance, but is actually Dema...

eBay Item
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 06:48:39 PM »
David, I've got that orange platter - so if you only want it for photographic purposes, then don't bid, I'll photograph mine for you.  :D
I am not a man

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 06:59:25 PM »
OK Max, thanks. That'll save me a few quid. Naturally, many of the patterns will be available at the Heritage Centre, but I might not be able to publish them.

Any idea what this pattern could be called? 'Summer' perhaps?

Chance Shape Page
I've now plonked a menu bar on the Chance pages and you'll notice there's a new page for Shapes. It might be best to deal with these separately so I might start a new topic, or you can contact me directly. If you can give fairly accurate measurements, along with the pattern it uses, I would be most grateful.

Blimey, I'll end up writing a book...!
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 06:46:13 AM »
David — Recently I acquired an unused boxed set of six small tumblers or tot glasses, h 2½" x rim d 2", in Michael Harris' white Calypto, with rather simpler decoration than the large example you show on your website.   The enamelling and the rim gilding is still as fresh and glorious as the day they were made, quite different to the sad examples you generally see at car boots and in charity shops.    Complete with all six round gold / black Chance labels and all six triangular black / white Design Centre labels.

The box, unfortunately slightly water-stained, is a delight.   In ivory, printed with a gold mesh or lozenge pattern, it suits almost any gift occasion, apart from ruby weddings and funerals.    And for those, you could have made it appropriate by adding a red or black ribbon.   Turn the lid upside down, and you have a perfect angled display stand.    The box just oozes careful and thoughtful professional design.

Now for the questions, David.

Jackson dates this pattern to 1959–81.   Do the Design Centre labels, the Chance labels, the box, or anything else you know reduce this rather large span of 23 years at all?

And, were these glasses made by Chance (no pun intended), or did they buy them in as blanks and decorate them?

... and well done.    Your website is looking superb.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 07:13:05 AM »
Quote from: "DenCill"
It might be best to deal with these separately...

Very much so. Keep separate groupimgs for colour, shape and design. My Strathearn catalogues were getting into a mess until I realised this to be the best approach... once I get the new versions finished of course :?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 12:17:58 PM »
Bernard:

Many thanks for your comments on the site. Of course it is very much 'work in progress' and needs all the glass cataloguing.

David — Recently I acquired an unused boxed set of six small tumblers or tot glasses, h 2½" x rim d 2"...

These do appear on eBay now and then, but in pristine condition and with the box is certainly a good find — photos would be much appreciated. The Calypto decoration was simplified for the smaller items, and smaller dishes featuring other patterns are treated in the same way.

Complete with all six round gold / black Chance labels and all six triangular black / white Design Centre labels.

I still have not managed to obtain a single Chance item with one of the Design Centre labels, believe it or not!

If you could provide a photo of this set, I would gladly include it on the site. It might be possible to photo-edit the water-staining away, or perhaps the box can be angled appropriately.

Now for the questions, David.

I have yet to get firm dates on when the different labels were used. I have a feeling the Design Centre labels were not used past c.1975? However, it might also be easier to give a timeline based on the changeover from the early Chance script logo to the modern, angular version. I'm guessing late 1960s.

And, were these glasses made by Chance (no pun intended), or did they buy them in as blanks and decorate them?

That's a very good question, which I may be able to answer after my next visit (3rd Feb) to the Heritage Centre, but Chance certainly had the commercial capacity to create the blanks as they were producers of laboratory and industrial glass. Hopefully I might be able to locate earlier records about the company at some stage.

As a point of interest; with the Fiestaware float glass items, to the best of my knowledge the transfer print was applied before the item was 'slumped' — that is, it would have to be reheated with the transfer fixed.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand