No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns  (Read 110511 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2006, 06:23:57 PM »
Quote from: "Anne"
David, I didn't make the connection with the white lace one in the gallery. Thanks for pointing that out... is it a less common pattern? I don't recall seeing it before.

Sorry didn't reply properly.

The Lace pattern is quite common, but the black colour isn't. I think the black on white is even less common.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2006, 06:33:58 PM »
I bought this with a lot of Chance glass, but have always discounted ref the decoration which is enamel dots, all raised like little bumps. The glass type is consistent and I am certain it is UK manufacturer - just putting it on in case it's of interest - not a very good photo, if it was interesting I can take a new one

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2006, 08:56:56 PM »
Quote from: "David555"
I bought this with a lot of Chance glass, but have always discounted ref the decoration which is enamel dots, all raised like little bumps...

I don't believe this is Chance, but I have seen plenty of glassware with gilt banding that I have no idea about. But the decanter doesn't really fit in with the profile of Chance glass. Thanks anyway.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2006, 07:33:28 AM »
Hi David
This is a great topic keep up the good work, there has to be a book or maybe a CD in here somewhere.

Have a look at my Gallary puto some photos in an album Chance Bros Glass let me know what you think

Tony H in NZ

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2006, 07:41:33 AM »
Hi Tony I think your clematis are roses, look at the buds.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2006, 09:35:59 AM »
Yeah, those Clematis are definitely Roses!  :roll:  :lol:  Well spotted, Christine!  :wink:
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2006, 09:46:34 AM »
:D:D:D

Anne is perfectly right about Anenome! It comes with the round early script label.
I've not seen Tony's pattern before - definitely roses, (though they look a bit like dog-roses?).

I've got a labelled (round, early script) yellow roses plate. Photos will be forthcoming when we get a new camera to replace the one I destroyed yesterday (zoom lens bent, jammed, "thing" making strange noises, me too :evil: .).

I do have another large oval plate with a roses-ish pattern on it, (buds like peonies, leaves not, flowers like roses, leaves a little like roses, no thorns, some flowers not like roses) - but I do think they used a bit of poetic license with their flowers! The clematis is confusing because it seems the same plant has both pink and blue flowers, I think they did this with other designs too.

A thought - could the Fragonard(?) actually be Filligree? Just on the grounds that it's not lace, and it looks like filligree work!

Sizes!

The large oval plates are 14.25" long, 9.25" wide.

The rectangular plates/trays are 11.25" long, 9"wide.

I've got a "Yellow Roses" big round plate, the kind that has 5 triangular sections, for the different kinds of nibbles. It's 14" in diameter.

What about all the funny different wire basket things these often came with, David?

I've got 2-tiered cake stands, baskets with compartments for glasses, clip-on handles that go on smaller things....what else is there?
( :twisted: Can you understand why Michael is throwing fits about it all? He really likes my Mdina, and my/our contemporary art glass, but this does nothing for him but fill the house!)

My double sided thing is 11.25" long, but 9.525" wide (because of the slightly different shape - not squared, but with slightly rounded edges).
I've not given up on this thing quite yet, David - it's been sitting put away for ages, I thought it was something of real interest, so I've got much more emotional investment in it than you have!  :twisted::roll::twisted:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2006, 10:27:37 AM »
Hi Tony,

Thanks for joining in! Not much of a gardener and thought they were Red Daisies... :wink:

Nice photos, so can I use them - I assume Yobunny photos are copy-left?

The hole in the centre is where it was either mounted on a stand (comport) or had a stemmed handle (cake stand), however, for my next trick...

What hole? :shock: The other point is whether I could trouble you for a close-up of the pattern, but with a white background? Very grateful. :)

Labels is another point. I've already tried cataloguing these (click Labels & Marks' in the menu bar) but I still haven't got the later one with 'Fiesta' written, so this would also help, Tony!

Leni, Sue, thanks for the ID, but don't you have any Chance though, Leni?

A thought - could the Fragonard(?) actually be Filligree? Just on the grounds that it's not lace, and it looks like filligree work!

You might be right! So I wonder if the gilt pattern is Silhouette. Or could this be something more esoteric, like Britannia, Regency or Waverley? Rhetorical: my visit to the Centre should answer many of these questions.

I'm feeling really gilt(y) now... :roll:

So is Max's trippy flower design a Dahlia? There seem to be a lot of varieties, but a couple could fit this pattern. Welcome back, Max!

I've got a "Yellow Roses" big round plate, the kind that has 5 triangular sections, for the different kinds of nibbles. It's 14" in diameter.

Aha, another shape I'd forgotten about - these are not very common! I'll wait to see the photo, but does it have a plain rim and do the segments meet in the centre?

The 2-tiered cake stand I've also resisted from buying - space is becoming a premium - but a photo is welcome! I think as I'm having to throw everything into this, I also need to cover as many of the accessories as possible. I imagine some of these could be quite uncommon. I have already noted that plates with drilled holes were comports or cake stands, and there are also cake plates with clip-on wire handles. My mother has a Calypto with one of these. I know there's a long oval dish (13½"x5¼") that also uses one of these.

The size of the double-sided is very close to one of the Chance plates, but it's one of those things I'd need to inspect it to be certain.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2006, 11:31:11 AM »
Quote from: "Leni"
Quote from: "DenCill"
but don't you have any Chance though, Leni?

:oops:  :roll:  :oops:  No I don't have any Chance.  :oops:  :roll:  :oops: I've been following the thread, but ......

I'm afraid I have to admit ... I loathe it!   :oops:
Sorry   :oops:  :roll:  :oops:

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Actually I mentioned this because I remember you bringing up the subject of Calypto some time ago (the seller thinking it was "Calypso").

But I'm not terribly keen on a lot of the designs; the floral ware is far too chintzy for me (trippy flowers excepted!) and very 1960s: Anne mentioned knitted poodle toilet roll covers, and this tends to sum it up. But I do appreciate the striking patterns like Swirl, Night Sky and Calypto, with innovative shapes like the Giraffe Carafe that takes a lot of beating - my favourite! :D
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2006, 11:39:12 AM »
I just remembered.  There was three plates in an antique shop in Rochester last week.  They were a design I hadn't seen before.  A 'trippy flower' type of style, but in (from memory) beige and light blue.

I'll be back there soon, so I'll haggle a price for at least one of them.  :wink:
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand