No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns  (Read 110477 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2006, 09:07:04 PM »
:D :? :D

David, I'm getting confuddled and I'm only following this from my own little corner, not everybody else's as well! :oops:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2006, 10:22:30 PM »
Sue...yes, I do have that orange dish...it's sitting next to me, waiting to be photographed.  Not in make-up yet, but clean at least!   :lol:

I've just seen that 'green leaves' dish.  I love it!  What a fab pattern!  I haven't seen that before anywhere.  Oh dear...that's another piece of glass I have to start looking for!
I am not a man

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2006, 12:03:38 AM »
There are three patterns that might fit with this pattern: Summer Melody,Summer and Spring. It does look like something from the '60s, but otherwise I have no idea what this would be called.

I assume the printing is on the back (underside) of the trays?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2006, 01:38:03 AM »
I assume the printing is on the back (underside) of the trays?

The back of the orange tray is completely orange, as in printed.  The edges of the tray are clear.   :)
I am not a man

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2006, 09:45:11 PM »
Not sure if you've come across this Fashion Series by Chance:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chance-Glass-Fashions-Through-the-ages_W0QQitemZ7385792657QQcategoryZ1010QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wonder how many fashion periods they covered?  does anyone know?

emmi

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2006, 10:16:03 PM »
Hi Emmi,

Yes, I've been aware of this item. If you look at the second photo you can just about make out the six periods:

Renaissance
Baroque
Regency
Louis XVI
Empire
Victorian

I believe there are other series that Chance made and I'll get information on this as and when it becomes available.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Visit to Smethwick Heritage Centre
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2006, 06:15:49 PM »
Hi all,

More interesting developments on Chance Glass patterns.

See Visit Details

Fiesta Glass was all produced after 1981 by Fiesta Glass Ltd., the company founded by Michael Joseph who bought up the rights to the designs. Some of the patterns continued, but also some new ones were introduced.

Not to be confused with mention of Fiestaware which was a Chance brand name.

Here is more news as bullet points:

The Lace pattern, 1951, was made first in white, then black, both on clear glass. “Any coloured patterns were experimental” – I have a green one!

Sue! ‘Golden Spray’ pattern has been called ‘Fireworks’ and there is a blue version named ‘Ocean Spray’, c.1970. No photos of these, but this might be the elusive link for your large Chance-like dish, so can I post one of the photos you sent?

The ‘Grantleigh’ design was named by Tony Cartwright (last General Manager of Fiesta Glass) after the TV series ‘To The Manor Born’.

Anne! Those odd dishes you have — where are the photos on your site? Could be interesting.

Mermaid Rose (1963) was the first Floral pattern, followed by Anemone – this might cast doubt on whether Michael Harris ever designed the latter, if accurate.

Ruby Intaglio handkerchief vases may have been made from the melted down scraps of red glass used for railway signal lens.

The Wedding Anniversary plates were the first souvenir plates and only introduced in 1980.

'Glacier' looks like a version of Bark, but in a pale blue. Made by Chance Pilkington, not Fiesta. 'Galleon' is another Chance pattern,

Grey Dawn is a smoked glass: probably Chance, c.1980.

As suggested by Bernard, Chance did not make the drinking glasses/stemware but these were bought in from another manufacturer.

'Columbine' design was made specially for Boots Chemists.: "Contemporary flower design in bright orange and vivid green" — surely the two Trippy Flower 3 designs? :D

Pressed glass with a coloured band will be the Waverley design (1949) and only made post-war.

I now have a list of all the patterns and date they were first produced. Not sure how accurate this is, as it was only compiled recently and Calypto is designated as being 1958: a year earlier than expected.

There are many unknown patterns! I'll update my site rather than include them all here.

Bouquet: This is a range of four totally different patterns, not just a range of one! :oops:

There is a Fiestaware milk jug and water jug, both with applied handles - start looking!

The Centre has a Giraffe Carafe in Night Sky :shock:

Yasmin (c.1980, certainly a later pattern) is a stunning Oriental design of pink flowers with green leaves on a red background — knowing Sue's aversion to PINK, I can assure you it is very tasteful :lol:

HANDKERCHIEF VASES
1. Thin vertical stripes is known as CORDON
2. Polka Dot is correct for the, ahem, the polka-dot ones.
3. Horizontal Stripe is knows as BANDELL: there are two versions of this stripe, so I need to determine which is which.
4. Gingham is correct for the cross-checked ones.

That's all Folks! (play theme tune for Looney Tunes...) 8)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2006, 06:28:12 PM »
:D:shock::D

Of course you can send my atrocious pics!

I'm getting excited now!!!!

I'm not so sure about trippy flower 3 being columbine - I thought it was more like stylised tulips. Another name for columbine is aquilegia, and I love them - I think the leaves are all wrong. The flowers don't look like columbine either.....
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2006, 06:41:34 PM »
Hi Sue,

Golden Spray/Ocean Spray?

COLUMBINE: I'm no horticulturist, but it did seem to describe the Trippy Flower 3 pattern very well... colour anyway! I've absolutely no idea what a Columbine looks like though... :lol:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2006, 07:16:59 PM »
Quote from: "Dencill"
Anne! Those odd dishes you have — where are the photos on your site? Could be interesting.

Who, me?  Ahhh these ones you mean?
http://www.yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/thumbnails.php?album=15
I just realised I have four plates not three, in two different designs (3 of one design, one of the other).

Brilliant info from your trip David. Well done. Loads more questions to be answered now!

BTW I found one of the plates with the big white daisies as well today, so picked that up for photographing for you. Also seen this weekend, but not bought as you have examples of the pattern: 3 of the small square sandwich plates in Calypto (all damaged on the edges sadly!), and a double-level cakestand in Violas/Pansies design. (I'm regretting not picking that up seeing the price the other daffodil one went for on eBay last week!)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand