No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: largish green striped glass fish with gold and silver foil - Murano?  (Read 10486 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: largish green striped glass fish with gold and silver foil - Murano?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 02:15:24 PM »
me too Anita  :) and even a probably without any references/reasoning to substantiate the 'probably' isn't enough to definitely id something (part of my previous life was research, so I'm always looking for definites  ;D)
 I'll take a look at goantiques.  thanks p.s. Rosie and I have cross posted and I was about to refer to the 'possibly' 'probably' on Great Glass but deleted it  :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 10:03:36 PM »
I just found this one on Antique Helper, and it has a very similar eye form to your fish....it might be worth having a look m.
Rosie.
http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/326337
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 10:27:21 PM »
thanks Rosie, I hadn't come across that one. yes there are similarities and it's quite early isn't it? I'll have to investigate further.    I've looked at a few aquariums on Dan Ripley etc, which are listed as Barbini Cenedese and there are similarities with a lot of those fish.  The mouth, the eyes, the stripes, the use of gold/silver foil in the body and some of the 'floaty' fin shapes although those are filigrano rather than clear with foil as mine are.  This one looks very similar
http://antiquehelper.rfcsystems.com/Full/305/73305_view%2002_02.jpg
I think my fish is probably a 'good' one is all I have so far though.  I'll go take a look round at CVM Murano and see what I can find.  thanks again  :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 09:17:58 AM »
Anita, that fish was most definitely made by the same hand as mine.  I have emailed the dealer to ask if it is labelled.  I'm not sure whether they will reply but hopefully they will.  I'll post if so.  Thanks again for your help.
see link here, 3rd pic down.
http://www.goantiques.com/search/search_results.jsp?newSearch=yes&channel=&category=Glass&keywords=cenedese+fish&itemType=
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »
I think this fish is the same maker as mine and has a label.  I have looked through the Murano labels file but can't see the label there.
It may be  generic but is it recognised at all and could it give an indication of time period of manufacture maybe?
Thank you for any help.
m :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MURANO-FISH-/181006561488?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=%2FXxrH3bw6WysCQlmfjzxeC5%2F%2FbU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 05:19:53 AM »
This the great mystery generic label. It turns up frequently and yet I've never seen it linked to any company. The label seems to from late 50's /early 60's to late 70's/early 80's. I'd be surprised if it's not in the label library.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 08:36:24 AM »
Thanks David  :)
There is one a similar shape in the label library, but not the same wording as I recall.
m

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 11:39:13 PM »
Hi, File #99 at the bottom of page 5 looks pretty much the same, as far as I can make out.

David

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 11:46:55 PM »
that's the one I found  :) 
And I'm probably splitting hairs here, and it is the same shape, but to me the colour of the label is different gold v red background, the wording is different and I think the font is slightly different  :-\

I'm only stating the differences, because until one knows for sure, it's difficult to know whether the differences between them are important or not important if you see what I mean? 
I guess if they are 'stick it on' generic labels then it may never lead to a maker but I suppose it's one more piece of the puzzle  :-\
m

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 05:18:34 AM »
The only difference I see is one label says "Handmade made in Murano" and the other says "Handmade in Murano."  I think you're splitting hairs. If the labels do represent two different companies, your task has just got that much more difficult. There's another variant at File 106.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand