No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: largish green striped glass fish with gold and silver foil - Murano?  (Read 10474 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
This has no label and probably is of no use to anyone but me unfortunately.  However, I've decided to do a bit of research before buying what should be my one glass fish for my collection  ;D
So I bought this in the name of research, because it was cheap, because it has the foil and because it has very curious eyes.   It's quite pretty but not as colourful or intricate as I would eventually like to have.  And there I've stuck.  Is it even Murano do we think?
I've put as close up photos as I can get of the eyes.  They seem to be like pale yellow sticks of hollow pasta tubes lined with red glass but then a clear centre - they seem to have been shoved into the glass side of the fish head.The silver and gold appears to be foil. I thought the fins were clear, but as I was taking photos I realised they are completely covered in gold foil as well.  I'll add another picture of that later.  It's looking better than it was when I first saw it now I describe it :-\
Any help much appreciated.
many thanks  - additional pic on black now added and also, it has a sharp bit underneath so I think it may have originally been on a glass stand that got broken perhaps.  Measurements - 7"tall (18cm) x 7 1/2" long (19cm)
M

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: largish green striped glass fish with gold and silver foil - Murano?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »
Hi M, I really think it is worth looking at The Great Glass Library, on this page, as they are very like your beautiful fish>

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib4ab.htm

He looks very like the Cenedese one 5865....see what you think!!
Rosie.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 03:17:41 PM »
and 6918 as well... yes - bingo!! thank you Rosie - I'm impressed with myself for choosing him now :-[
I'll have another search around now I have a possible name.
Many thanks!
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 04:09:17 PM »
Just like many of the fish in the aquarium blocks by Cenedese .

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 04:20:02 PM »
well that's very exciting, thanks JP   :rah:- perhaps I do have my one fish after all (until one in a more contemporary style  comes along  ;D )
m

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 04:29:37 PM »
Uhh....   all those similar fish on the Great Glass site say "possibly Cenedese" or "Cenedese style" not that they are definitively Cenedese.  Unless anyone has any more information?  :-\

I am not a man

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 05:04:03 PM »
It's ok Max, I am quite excited but only a little ;D  I am aware they are only 'possibles' and subsequent searches have not thrown up anything more definitive. 
I'll let you know if I do come across anything more definitive   ;)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 01:46:57 PM »
circumstantial information so far:
Modernist glass have a paperweight on the site that is attributed to Riccardo Licata for Cenedese 1950's.  The fish in that weight appears to have similar eyes and mouth to mine.  They state that the fish should have a yellow surround to the eyes (mine does) and that the fins should be filigree.  I don't know what that means.  I thought filigree was delicate strands of gold or silver :-\ .  Mine has gold leaf in the fins but not what I would call filigree.  Also my fish eyes have a red lining to the yellow surround which glows v. brightly under UV light.  I have a Bohemian vase with opaque red splotches in and some of those glow brightly like that (I've just tested it) I'm not for one moment suggesting it is Bohemian btw, just mentioning this odd phenomena because my fish eyes are curious.  I can't see whether any of the fish I have looked at that look similar to mine, whether they are or aren't Cenedese is questionable, actually have this red lining inside the yellow eyes.  They all look as though they have a  black interior to me including the ones in this paperweight.
I have found labelled Cenedese aquariums.  All of the fish in them seem to have a filigrano type fins or are made of strands of colour, but there was one fish in a complicated aquarium that appears to have clear fins with possibly silver or gold leaf in them.
I haven't found anything that has totally convinced me.  Does anyone have any definite Cenedese glass with fish in at all please? 

Something else curious about the eyes, I just assumed it would be two pieces of cut off cane, one stuck in one side and one the other.  I n fact it is one piece of cane pushed right through.
any further thoughts very much appreciated.  p.s. I've come across some amazing contemoprary style fish on the way - gorgeous.
thanks
m

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 02:09:20 PM »
m, the filigree is referring to the small canes that make the stripes. It can also be zanfirico. In this case it just means that the tail and fins have the white or color glass stripes. This refers to the fish that are in the blocks and not to the free-standing ones. Most of the Cenedese free-standing fish I've seen don't have the filigree fins. For example, the fish of Da Ros are sleek on the outside.

There is a fish like yours on GoAntiques attributed to Cenedese, but it doesn't have a label. I hope we can find one with a label so you'll know for sure. When I see "possibly" with an attribution, I tranlate it into "I don't know." I need at least a "probably" to start feeling comfortable.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 02:13:23 PM »
Hmmm...this is getting more and more interesting!!  There is one on the Great Glass site that says 'probably' Anita.....all the others say possibly!!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand