No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: W/Fs. amethyst bowl for id.  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
W/Fs. amethyst bowl for id.
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:42:11 PM »
I thought this was probably pattern 8266 - it's a spiral design with diameter of about 11.75" - but now not sure as the foot is not of the 'milled' edge sort, although it does have a folded edge to the rim.   Typical quality 'ding' and large ground/polished pontil mark.     Very grateful for someone's guidance please and thanks for looking. :)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: W/Fs. amethyst bowl for id.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:18:32 PM »
Hi paul i am not sure they all had the milled edge but check the base very carefully because W/Fs got some of the designs from Eda and the Eda ones are usually signed , tiny sig Eda three letters . ps and folded rim .

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 09:49:36 AM »
thanks jp - and I've now been all over this with a magnifying glass but have to say no sign of the word Eda.    However, think I'm coming to the conclusion that this bowl may well not be W/Fs. - too many small bubbles, several whitish seeds and what appears to be unmixed colour  swirls.     The grinding/removal of the pontil scar is also wrong, I think (multiple grinding facets).    Must admit to knowing absolutely nothing about Eda glass (Sweden).    Wud you commit to giving an approximate date for this piece - assuming not W/Fs?

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:06:45 PM »
Hi Paul not one I can recall looks a little 'heavy' and the pontil mark is quite large cannot think of many W/f bowls with the folded rim apart from 9090 a Tom Hill design from 1937

http://www.whitefriars.com/catalogues/contents.php?id=10360

Also a better picture in the Jackson book page 126 plate 119 also a couple of Hogan ones with a rigaree foot worth keeping an eye out for.

Chris

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 05:48:29 PM »
thanks Chris  -  I will put this to one side for the moment, in the 'wait and see' heap. ;)    I do have Jackson, but not the Museum of London book which, whenever I see a copy is usually on the wrong side of £175. :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand