No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavy smoke-brown vase with internal bands and bubbles -- ID = Schott-Zwiesel  (Read 4083 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Quite heavy glass vase, smokey brown colour, clear base, internally decorated with 2 crossing brown bands (1 reddish-brown, other greenish brown) and some big bubbles. Shiny base with polished pontil mark. Height 19 cm.

I think this is German, I remember vaguely seeing a similar one with a label...
Zwiesel? Gral Glas?...?

Thanks for looking!
Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Heavy smoke-brown vase with internal bands and bubbles -- German?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 02:07:17 PM »
I went past a small antique shop yesterday where I go infrequently, and look what I saw in the shop window...
(Well, now I know where I had seen this nice vase before ;D)

So this is definately Schott-Zwiesel from the 70ies.
What I still don't know is who designed it -- any suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 05:51:57 PM »
Well, Heinrich Löffelhardt was their main designer in that period. Many sellers attribute anything and everything from that period to Löffelhardt (like they used to attribute any bit of Gral glas to Habermeier, which turned out to be wrong also) - without a good reference source, it's basically guesswork. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that Helmut Ricke will write or organize more books on German glassworks from that period. Peill, Hirschberg, Zwiesel - just naming a few potential source books I'd happily add to my collection.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 08:38:03 PM »
Ditto, Astrid!  :)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:30:52 PM »
Thank you very much, Dirk and Astrid!
The Gralglas book is already on the wishlist for my next birthday...

Regarding the Zwiesel vase: I looked in to my favourite glass book again, '20th century factory glass' by Lesley Jackson, and as usual I am surprised by the profound information found in it (but too few pics).
"... In 1972 the factory changed its name to Schott-Zwiesel-Glaswerke AG. From this date designs were marketed anonymously as Atelier Schott-Zwiesel, although most were designed by Wilhelm Kuchler until his retirement in 1986. During the early 1970s Kuchler oversaw the development of a range of hand-made art glass, including ... vases decorated with thick, treacly bands or streaks of blue and green glass."

So my vase was made post 1972, and Wilhelm Kuchler "oversaw" the designs during that time...

Greetings,
Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand