No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta Vase identify designer  (Read 3888 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Kosta Vsse identify designer
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 02:13:54 PM »
LG 231 Engraved glass by Lindstrand called in flight 1951 i believe the height should be about160mm so the first two digits are LG  . :sleep: :hi: mine is probably in the loft cant remember selling it .

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Kosta Vsse identify designer
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 03:28:11 PM »
Sorry cjf i didnt see your posting . :ho:

Offline Daniel S

• Members
Re: Kosta Vase identify designer
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »
the writing isn't right for me. And it looks like LO instead of LG.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 02:10:37 AM »
Daniel:

The dimensions given by the seller ( 6/12", roughly 165 mm and 9 1/2", roughly 242 mm) are very close to the dimensions given in Ricke's Swedish Glass Factories.  It's hard to tell definitively if the engraving is the same as in Ricke but it looks very, very similar. I know it should be LG 231, but is it possible that the "O" is either a mistake or a badly made "G"?  

My interest, which I'll confess, is that a friend was thinking of bidding on this, and asked if I thought it was genuine. I told him I thought there was a good chance it was genuine. He didn't bid, btw, which allowed Msiscoe to get it at a very good price. I'd buy it at twice that price, and more.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 05:47:54 AM »
David,

Sorry for being unclear.
My comments concerns ONLY the engraved signature. Not the actual engraved artwork.

Mistake? No I don't think so. They engraved/signed these things each day. THe signature is written with hesitation.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 06:12:58 AM »
Daniel:

The "O" isn't completely closed and  seems to straighten out as it comes up on the right, which could be interpreted as someone trying to make a "G". However, I agree  with you that the signature looks awkward to say the least, so I won't dispute what you say. Would you say that the piece itself could be authentic?

David

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 06:39:10 AM »
I can't see any problems with artwork. It matches known specimen.
My best guess is that it was either polished down due to some damage, stolen from the factory and signed later or sold, unsigned,  as a second choice and then later signed.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 02:19:23 AM »
I just noticed a picture of this piece in Mark Friedman's The Best of Swedish Art Glass where he gives an estimated value of $175-$250 for it. I find hs values more accurate than most, at least fro the North American market.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand