Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Resolved Paperweight Queries

ID ??????? ID = Caithness "Noughts & Crosses" (CIIG)

<< < (2/4) > >>

tropdevin:

I think the truth is that the shapes in canes can get very distorted as the hot glass is manipulated in manufacture (I wrote a detailed article on this in a PCA bulletin a few years ago, called 'Alphabet Soup' ).  So it is easy to see something that is not meant to be there, or is a variation on what was meant to be there! That said, I think that Vasart / Strathearn and others made a variety of cross shapes that were intended to be what one might call Maltese crosses - and this cane is consistent with those.

Regarding bases, most Murano have flat polished bases, without doubt. But so do some of Scottish weights - for example, Ysart Harland era weights, Caithness weights, some Strathearn weights such as the 'scattered on muslin' and their clear glass spoke designs with dates in them.....all too confusing!

Alan

Roger H:
 Just had a look at a very similar weight put on this site for ID ,July 5th 2009. Seems it is Caithness, therefore the CUG underneath is really a CIIG denoting a second, possibly because it is difficult to see the lines. Maltese cross, I believe so. I didn't realise Caithness made such a low profile weight . Thanks for all the comments. Roger.

rosieposie:
I did see the CIIG mark,  but assumed you had seen it and knew what that meant......I wonder why they would have a Maltese Cross though, rather than a St. Andrews cross??

Roger H:
        When I purchased the weight the description was CUG inscribed on the base, the only view I had was a top view but I only paid a small price for it so I bought it out of interest really.
                               Regards  Roger

chopin-liszt:
The Saltire is rectangular - it doesn't fit into a round or square shape too well.  :ooh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version