No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orange Cloud  (Read 4866 times)

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Orange Cloud
« on: January 22, 2006, 08:47:38 AM »
This post is to thank every one from this Board who has been so generous with their knowledge and also to encourage new members.
It is the first  glass buy since joining the Board, which I have bought with confidence and confirmed  by my own searching.

http://tinypic.com/mbtqv7.jpg
http://tinypic.com/mbtr0z.jpg

It is S696f and the unmodified form of the orange glass.
That means the earlier orange glass with yellow, custardy trails.
There were only 390 of this flower bowl, passed inspection, in total, [unmodified and modified]. The modified orange, which was an attempt to overcome the difficulties of making it, was darker and reddish.
This is the site that gave me most of the information that I needed to confirm. It is a great site and they are very helpful if e-mailed.

http://www.cloudglass.com/home.htm

The history of the firm is really interesting and some aspects really captured my imagination. Such as that the orange cloud glass was so hard to make, that the glass makers, who were usually paid by the piece, were put on an hourly rate. And that the glass was considered too gaudy for the British market, so was shipped to Australia, where two of the Davidson brothers had emigrated to. Because it was during  the Depression years, they shipped food back in return.
Sorry, this is a little non technical!
Anyway, I am celebrating four anniversaries this year and my second oldest son's 21st', so bottoms up.    
Cheers Ruth

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Orange Cloud
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 09:49:34 AM »
Well done on the purchase, Ruth. I really like orange cloud myself, but it's always so hard to obtain.

Chris Stewart (cloudglass.com) is actually a founder member of this board and does 'pop his head round the door' occasionally so may add to my comments anyway.

I have two orange cloud pieces; a 1910BD unmodified and a 1907T modified, both purchased from Australia. However, unless I've gone wrong somewhere there were 1083 of the S/696F (9" diameter) made that passed inspection, but 390 of the 696F (11"). It should also have a black 4" flower dome (or 5" if it is a 696F) but Chris will kindly place an advert on his site if you send him an email with the details.

Hope this helps.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Orange Cloud
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 10:22:23 AM »
That helps heaps,I have been looking for a 4" dome for months and that matters, if wrong!!! So thank you .

My bowl is only 8.66 inches in diameter! I have e-mailed Chris so hopefully will be able sort  it all out eventually. My 4 kids are all engaged into my glass  collection now and I hope to leave them some information about it and prune it this year too.
Ruth

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Orange Cloud
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 10:36:30 AM »
The black domes are always a pain to get hold of.

As Chris will probably tell you, the sizes are for guidance only as cloud glass can vary somewhat. I would say 8.66" is near enough to 9" for it to be a S/696F — I sold a S/696D recently (a sister to yours with fully turned over rim) that was a full 10 inches (one inch over-size!)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Orange Cloud
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 09:12:52 PM »
Just found Chris's e-mail again. It should have a 4" dome, so will keep on hunting. Do you have any idea what they cost, roughly ?  
Ruth.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Orange Cloud
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 11:43:24 AM »
Hi Ruth,

Because they're not easy to find I've never actually seen one on eBay. I was fortunate indeed when some very kind soul actually offered hers for nothing! :shock:

I am always looking for black frogs/domes/plinths in general (I need a 2" black dome for the 1907T) and have a search set up, so will let you know when one surfaces (I'm not greedy!)

As for the value; it depends on how well it's been advertised, how many are looking, how many people have similar orange cloud bowls... etc. You may be lucky and get it for a fiver, or get lots of competition and see it realise £15-20.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Orange Cloud
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 03:34:33 AM »
Thanks, that is very kind of you.
I have an amber  [like honey it is, ] dome 4' in fairly good nick if you require one. It cleaned up a treat with my chemico!
I also know where there are a few plinths, in the next town [village to most people]. Perhaps we and others could use the market forum to set up an exchange/find for costs arrrangement?
Ruth

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Orange Cloud
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 10:02:52 AM »
There may be other items that could benefit from an exchange service. I do have a free service on my own web site for people to do this, but it's not known yet and will take time before it gets popular (if it ever does).

Those plinths sound interesting — sometimes worth buying odd ones as you never know when they'll come in useful! I'm currently looking for the following cloud ones:

Purple No.3 Plinth
Blue No.1 plinth 3¼" inside rim
Briar No.1 plinth 3¼" inside rim

I've already got a 4" amber cloud dome, but thanks anyway. Domes/frogs are also susceptable to odd nicks, so finding one in perfect condition is always a challenge, but I'd certainly not refuse anything.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Orange Cloud
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 10:11:48 AM »
:shock::D:shock:

Plinths!!!.... - you know where there are plinths????

I want plinths. I really want plinths.

Plinths are wonderful, they can be used with any piece of glass, not just the bits they're designed for.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Orange Cloud
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 10:13:59 AM »
They're all mine, I tell you: MINE!  :twisted:  :wink:
David
► Chance Additions ◄