No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I'm moving: Packing advice requested!  (Read 4360 times)

Offline johnn

• Members
I'm moving: Packing advice requested!
« on: April 07, 2011, 05:39:35 PM »
Hello

I've lurked for awhile and have enjoyed many of the posts.  i'm moving about 500 miles from where I currently reside.  I have about 80-100 pieces of scandanavian glass, including various ariels and rare pieces. 

At present, my current plan is to move the glass myself.  I just don't trust movers.  Also I am moving a large number of records and books so I figured that I would do 1-2 loads with a rental truck.

What advice can you give me regarding packing.  As I noted there are quite a few pieces that are very heavy (2-5 kg).  Only a very small number are obviously very delicate (e.g., I have a tall Lindstrand giraffe).

Any advice would be gratly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: I'm moving: Packing advice requested!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 06:03:51 PM »
Glass is suprisingly sturdy stuff - I move hundreds of pieces all around the country on a regular basis for fairs.

If you're moving it yourself then you don't have to pack it as well as for postage. As long as you give each piece a couple of layers of bubblewrap (paying special attention to sharp edges), pack it fairly tightly so that nothing can move, and make sure that the very heaviest items are on the bottom and that lighter items, or those with extraneous parts, are at the top of the box, you should be fine.

You might want to invest in a few stackable lidded plastic storage boxes, rather than cardboard, as the combined weight of glass can sometimes be a bit back-breaking - stackable boxes are shaped to distribute the weight on top to the walls rather than onto the contents, plus you don't want the bottom to fall out of the box when you pick it up.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:02:18 PM »
banana boxes can hold up to 15 kilos each and can be stacked 8 high. I know because I just moved 250 boxes into storage. As long as you don't overpack the boxes you'll be just fine with news print.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:31:44 PM »
banana boxes can hold up to 15 kilos each and can be stacked 8 high. I know because I just moved 250 boxes into storage. ....
OH MY!! :o  and here's me gaily selling mine off because I  have a room full. 

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:11:32 PM »
I was always advised to firstly wrap the glass in tissue before covering with bubblerwap as there can be inter action with plastic and some glass coatings/finishes. It might be a few days/weeks before you unpack everything, so best to make sure that plastic doesn't come into contact with the glass surface, just in case!  

I always do it that way anyway, as those who have bought from me will know.

If you do all this yourself, you may not have insurance cover, so also best to check.  Photograph everything you have in case you need to make an insurance claim.

I want your Lindstrand giraffe!!!!!!

Apart from all that,  Happy Moving Day, and Peace and Happiness in your new home, johnn. :sun:

Rosie.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 01:22:16 AM »
As aperson who moved a lot of stuff about 4 times in six years my best advice agrees with Pinkspoons.

I have found it is vital to pack for lack of movement.  So use lots of filler to make sure the wrapped items can't "bang" against each other and don't force to much in each packing "Crate".

Safe travel,  Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:00:21 AM »
As long as you don't overpack the boxes you'll be just fine with news print.
I think it depends of the quality of road surface you're to be traveling on. I lost two newspaper-wrapped carafes to the sudden judder of going over the train lines at a level crossing when I first started the fair malarkey - the first on the way there, and the second coming back!

I've not (yet) lost anything with bubblewrap.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »
Be careful to avoid large or sudden temperature changes - cased glass is susceptible to cracking - I'd be really fretting about your Ariel bits!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »
I have heard horror stories about glass and pottery dealers losing nearly all their stock due to temperature changes - especially during bitter winters.  :ooh:

Offline johnn

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:01:26 PM »
Thanks for the comments, suggestions and pitfalls.  Fortunately, the move will take place in the summer, and no temperature variation of more than 5 degrees is expected.  I do like the idea of the plastic boxes instead of cardboard and will certainly being doing that. 

As I take photos to document things while I am packing, I'll post some of my faves here.

Thanks again and please keep the suggestions coming

:)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand