No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I'm moving: Packing advice requested!  (Read 4362 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: I'm moving: Packing advice requested!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 12:48:54 AM »
I agree with the idea of plastic stacker boxes instead of cardboard ones. I have a lot of boxed up glass due to lack of space and cardboard boxes are a nightmare as they sag, collapse on each other and so on - and these are very sturdy boxes which have survived being hauled about by couriers already. For large quantity of tissue sheets, look at florists' suppliers - that's where we got ours from at a very reasonable price. Good luck with the move! :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 07:37:49 AM »
If you're going to use the plastic stacking boxes (I do), then don't fill them right to the top - if you stack them the other end the lids "sag" slightly and will press down on the contents. Also, if possible, try and put them in standing up, so you just have one layer. 

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 01:50:05 PM »
I get my packing paper for wrapping items from my local picture framer - the sheets of glass arrive with a layer of paper between each one. They are free and would otherwise be thrown away. I get free bubble wrap from a large shop nearby, they recycle loads of it, it is used to protect layers of apples and the like, I pick up a handful each time I go in there.

Heat and cold are not a problem for glass, as mentioned it is sudden temperature changes which cause damage.

If in doubt I always use extra bubblewarp..... ;D

John

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 11:15:03 PM »
If using boxes, i used the heavy duty double walled boxes. This prevents sagging and you have an extra layer of cardboard in case something sharp or heavy bangs against the box. Everything else has been mentioned. And as per common senese, when stacking the boxes, the heaviest on the bottom and the lighter ones on top.

And yes...a good idea to move the glass yourself. I do this as well as I have seen some really dodgy movers in my time. Especially after 30+ moves...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand