No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Butterfly Bowl -- Fratelli Toso ???  (Read 2686 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Butterfly Bowl -- Fratelli Toso ???
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:12:00 AM »
 :hi:  there:

I am assuming that is Murano,  and Fratelli Toso Butterfly bowl with aventurine swirls in it.  Base shows wear.  Is this FT, or not??  I am assuming it is......only by the bottom (and style seems to be) BUT it appears to be made a bit more poorly around the edges..

thanks as always  :kissy:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Butterfly Bowl -- Fratelli Toso ???
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:37:16 AM »
Hi Rose, there's one just like it shown in Italian Glass Century 20, page 166, says Fratelli Toso, designed by Ermanno Toso in the 1950's and 1960's.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 05:33:21 PM »
Thanks Wayne for the Direct Reference on this item to the Book, and Page number :kissy:    :thup:

You know I figured it was --- but --- right along the rims of where the holders might be (IF this might be an ashtray too)....the Glass looks a bit sloppy, almost like something like a Chinese piece.  Looking from the top I might have thought it was Chinese, but then when I looked a the polished base, that is not something done so well by the Chinese.

Is this a bowl, or an Ashtray?  Kinda looks like an ashtray -- maybe ??

Maybe it was getting towards the end of the day, and was a Hot day -- and everyone was a bit tired when this was made.  I suppose Glass artists have good days, and bad days too....like any Job has.  lol

:24:

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 05:54:35 PM »
The book calls them bowls and doesn't mention ashtrays, but it wouldn't surprise me, a lot of the Murano bowls were originally made as ashtrays.

I think Fratelli Toso churned out quite a few of these, maybe that would explain the sloppyness of some of them?

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 06:06:45 PM »
The book calls them bowls and doesn't mention ashtrays, but it wouldn't surprise me, a lot of the Murano bowls were originally made as ashtrays.

I think Fratelli Toso churned out quite a few of these, maybe that would explain the sloppyness of some of them?

Thanks Wayne Again....

yeah, those little notches on the side make me think that it would be an Ashtray.  Maybe Bowl/Ashtray -- double duty.  Plus you are right to say they might have had some sloppyness to them.  They were artists -- but it was still a Hot, long day working by the fire.

Thanks again  :kissy:

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 04:17:44 AM »
Just thought I would add this link here to show the same Butterfly Bowl here too, see the 13th Row there (# 92) :

http://www.pachucoscadavers.com/fratelli%20toso.htm

Some other Nice pics there too.... :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand