No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Richardson Webb or Other?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline ic1

• Members
Richardson Webb or Other?
« on: April 10, 2011, 01:07:49 PM »
Hi can anyone tell wether this is Webb Thorn Glass or Richardson. I know that Webb took over Richardsons later on . I do not have a UV light to test if it glows. Thanks for your help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Richardson Webb or Other?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 01:18:15 PM »
Hello,welcome to the GMB,it might be difficult to tell who made this,if it's clear glass,as it looks, I doubt it is uv reactive ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ic1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:20:39 PM »
hi Thanks for a swift reply I hope someone else out there may be able to put me out of my misery. I have had these (two pieces for a couple of years and had real difficulty finding out who they are by.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 03:05:14 PM »
sorry, I think you may have to become accustomed to living with misery.    Cyril Manley illustrates some examples, containing both clear and uranium, and obviously was confident enough to attribute all of them to Webb - although none of his are completely clear (they all exhibit some uranium)  -  although, regrettably, he doesn't explain why he attributes them to Webb.      Gulliver illustrates a variety of colours/types, but as is often the case with this author, he plays safe and avoids making any attribution.     I believe the vernacular name for these pieces is 'thorn vases'  -  and understand that Stevens & Williams also made very similar objects.     Sorry that this is really unhelpful, but just one of those rather common articles, which were very popular with the Victorians.

Offline ic1

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 03:20:52 PM »
Thanks Paul Still they are nice pieces and will live with them for a while longer. :ac1:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 03:33:32 PM »
These things don't often seem to be documented, so good attributions are scarce. Has yours got a fire polished rim?

Offline ic1

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 04:39:40 PM »
They have a very polished rim but I am not familiar with the term fire polished. I would appreciate some info. Ta!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »
with regard to the nature of the rim.........Barry Skelcher comments that........"a ground and polished rim may well indicate a Continental origin".........just to further complicate matters ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 05:05:50 PM »
my apologies, shud have said I will leave it to Christine to explain adequately the difference between fire polished and ground/bevelled etc. re the rim :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 05:31:20 PM »
A fire polished rim is one that has been reheated to soften the edges after it has been ground to level it out. This gives the edge a slightly rounded appearance. Otherwise it is ground flat with various grades of wheel and possibly has its edges taken off by chamfering it to form an arris.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand