No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone know this signature on Orrefors platter  (Read 4763 times)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Anyone know this signature on Orrefors platter
« on: April 10, 2011, 02:54:57 PM »
Hi all,
          Much to my surprise I was taken by lot 462(A later 20th c Orrefors dish) at Fielding's,it being a few hundred years newer than my normal lodgers,anyway it was purchased and I am still delighted with it , the engraving is both on the front and the back , the large eagle to the back and the chicks to the front , giving an almost 3d effect, then a signature , not mentioned in the catalogue was found , looks like 'gaye' to me ,

any info on who the engraver may be and working dates if known would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers ,
            Peter.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: Anyone know this signature on Orrefors platter
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 02:55:59 PM »
the plate  :wsh:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 03:53:24 PM »
Not from Orrefors then, but an independent engraver. Pretty sloppy description of Fielding's - how can they tell it is Orrefors? Or am I missing something?

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »
 Maybe the 2 labels suggested the origin as Orrefors, personally I would have no idea.

Cheers ,
             Peter.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »
Makes no sense at all.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 08:47:44 AM »
Hi all ,
             Well!!   after 50 views I am rather disappointed at the QUALITY of respose so far , if I were a complete novice on glass seeking info on this item then I would still be completely in the dark with the response 'Makes no sense at all',surely with the vast amount of knowledge available on this forum it would have been just a little more polite to expand a little on that comment ,

not being a complete novice , i can read between the lines , so !!!   is there a feeling that the plate blank is NOT Orrefors , and that the engraved name is not recognised as an engraver for orrefors????, if so then I am sure that information would be gladly received if presented any other way than , 'makes no sense at all' which is of no help to anyone!"!!!

let me just say that I purchased the item with no concern at all as to who created the plate or who had engraved it,I liked it.
To get back to my original post , my question was , does anybody recognise the engravers signature???,

If it is the opinion of forum members that this plate is not in anyway connected to Orrefors,(which bothers me not a jot) , then maybe the question can be moved to the general 'glass ' section ,and see if it can be answered in a more informative manner.

Peter.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:43:38 AM »
The black Orrefors label is fairly recent I do know.  So I assume the engraver has chosen to buy the plain plate and then engraved it in the way she has arther than have an artist blow her a special blank - such as a cameo/intaglio artist might need.  I agree the name appears to be Gaye.  Unfortunately that name means zilch to me.   I assume that the artist is most likely to be British since it is a british name and such a relatively large object would hardly come to Australia to be engraved and then returned back there.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 09:59:47 AM »
Hi Ross,
               Thanks for your reply , although I am not sure how Australia factors in , the plate having been bought in the UK ,,  maybe someone can throw some light on the signature although I suppose it may well be a talented amateur who is unrecorded , it was the almost 3d effect ,the overall artistry and conception that appealed to me. not everything has to be worth zillions or have a famous name to be liked !!!.

Many thanks ,
       Peter.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:52:54 AM »
I agree
not everything has to be worth zillions or have a famous name to be liked !!!.

That's how I felt about the Glass Optic Lens with the Madonna and Child I had a thread about recently.
Maybe Lesley Pyke could throw some light on this for you....is it worth contacting her?  She may know some less well known engravers,  because from what I can see, this is a really good piece of work.
Rosie.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 12:50:58 PM »
  Thanks Rosie ,  :thup:

Contact has been made ,so lets see if 'Gaye' can be identified , I am always bemused by the vast quantity of beautifully engraved glass from as early as the 17thc up to the present day that is unsigned,if it were me who had created it my name would be all over the piece . Glad that you to see some quality in the engraving ,

cheers ,
               Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand