Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Kuttrolf Decanters...  (Read 4390 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 08:53:23 AM »
I recently saw a bent, crown-stoppered decanter in its original Holmegaard box on eBay - hurray.  :D

And my decanters have finally arrived - I'm convinced that the stopper for the continental one is original - it's got the same swirly pattern on it, and is dimpled on four sides to mimmick the quatrefoil of the decanter. I'll take a photograph later on.

It looks astonishingly new, though, I have to add. There's some scant wear to the base... but otherwise it's very crisp and bright. Are these still in production, or is it just a good quality piece that someone's cared for over the decades?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 09:44:41 AM »
Quote from: "Pinkspoons"
I'm convinced that the stopper for the continental one is original...

:oops: Until I looked more closely. The decanter is etched with a "13" on the rim, and the stopper is etched with a "4".  :oops:

But it's just as likely that someone had two of these decanters and accidentally swapped stoppers, isn't it? *fingers crossed*

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
    • old website
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 10:25:24 AM »
the Dansk Glass 1825-1925 book has 8 of these "Klukflaske" in different shapes, sizes and decors (though none in wrythen ribbing) all made around 1900 by Holmegaard, Aalborg and Conradsminde, so it seems to be a rather traditional Danish thing.
Ivo
► BLUE HENRY ◄
 New Book: The Almost Forgotten Story of the Blue Glass Sputum Flask

all texts and pictures (c) Ivo Haanstra.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 10:48:35 AM »
I'll definitely have to source my own copy of this book, it seems very useful.  :)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
    • old website
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 10:49:48 AM »
Quote from: "Frank"
These things are everywhere here! I went to a big collectors market in Utrecht and every other stall, of hundreds, had at least one... Ivo can probably explain this one.

Sorry Frank I cannot help you to a single specific maker for this generic decanter shape.
Ivo
► BLUE HENRY ◄
 New Book: The Almost Forgotten Story of the Blue Glass Sputum Flask

all texts and pictures (c) Ivo Haanstra.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 07:51:37 PM »
Are they being produced today, as I was surprised to see so many of them at Utrecht. Seemed to be on bookstalls as well as nearly all of the bric-a-brac stalls. Are they made as a container for a specific brand?
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 08:48:30 PM »
I've seen Holmegaard ones used by several brands - although, unfortunately, I didn't pay any attention at the time as to what they were.  :roll:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 10:32:54 AM »
To add further to the crown-stopper conundrum... I've just received a plain glass, crown stoppered kuttrolf with a simple silver collar and marked E. Dragsted (a Danish company/silversmith, 1948-1991, who seemed to work predominantly in small jewellery, according to my Googling).

(http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/pinkspoons/dragsteaddecanter.jpg)

Is it likely that the decanter could have been made by Holmegaard and then the decoration applied by Dragsted?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 08:51:38 PM »
Quote from: "Pinkspoons"
Is it likely that the decanter could have been made by Holmegaard and then the decoration applied by Dragsted?

To answer my own question.... yes, it is likely.  :lol:

I just bought a Per Lutken 'Aristocrat' decanter with an E. Dragsted silver collar.

And it is my last decanter, it really is... until the next one, anyway!  I've 23 Holmegaard decanters, and I only use 3 of them...  :oops:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 10:53:56 AM »
Another kuttrolf maker:

AUCTION

Edit: Before the auction vanishes forever, the label on the decanter reads - GLIMMA GLASBRUK, GLIMAKRA, SWEDEN

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com