No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kuttrolf Decanters...  (Read 10629 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 08:53:23 AM »
I recently saw a bent, crown-stoppered decanter in its original Holmegaard box on eBay - hurray.  :D

And my decanters have finally arrived - I'm convinced that the stopper for the continental one is original - it's got the same swirly pattern on it, and is dimpled on four sides to mimmick the quatrefoil of the decanter. I'll take a photograph later on.

It looks astonishingly new, though, I have to add. There's some scant wear to the base... but otherwise it's very crisp and bright. Are these still in production, or is it just a good quality piece that someone's cared for over the decades?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 09:44:41 AM »
Quote from: "Pinkspoons"
I'm convinced that the stopper for the continental one is original...

:oops: Until I looked more closely. The decanter is etched with a "13" on the rim, and the stopper is etched with a "4".  :oops:

But it's just as likely that someone had two of these decanters and accidentally swapped stoppers, isn't it? *fingers crossed*

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 10:25:24 AM »
the Dansk Glass 1825-1925 book has 8 of these "Klukflaske" in different shapes, sizes and decors (though none in wrythen ribbing) all made around 1900 by Holmegaard, Aalborg and Conradsminde, so it seems to be a rather traditional Danish thing.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 10:48:35 AM »
I'll definitely have to source my own copy of this book, it seems very useful.  :)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 10:49:48 AM »
Quote from: "Frank"
These things are everywhere here! I went to a big collectors market in Utrecht and every other stall, of hundreds, had at least one... Ivo can probably explain this one.

Sorry Frank I cannot help you to a single specific maker for this generic decanter shape.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 07:51:37 PM »
Are they being produced today, as I was surprised to see so many of them at Utrecht. Seemed to be on bookstalls as well as nearly all of the bric-a-brac stalls. Are they made as a container for a specific brand?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 08:48:30 PM »
I've seen Holmegaard ones used by several brands - although, unfortunately, I didn't pay any attention at the time as to what they were.  :roll:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 10:32:54 AM »
To add further to the crown-stopper conundrum... I've just received a plain glass, crown stoppered kuttrolf with a simple silver collar and marked E. Dragsted (a Danish company/silversmith, 1948-1991, who seemed to work predominantly in small jewellery, according to my Googling).

Is it likely that the decanter could have been made by Holmegaard and then the decoration applied by Dragsted?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 08:51:38 PM »
Quote from: "Pinkspoons"
Is it likely that the decanter could have been made by Holmegaard and then the decoration applied by Dragsted?

To answer my own question.... yes, it is likely.  :lol:

I just bought a Per Lutken 'Aristocrat' decanter with an E. Dragsted silver collar.

And it is my last decanter, it really is... until the next one, anyway!  I've 23 Holmegaard decanters, and I only use 3 of them...  :oops:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Kuttrolf Decanters...
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 10:53:56 AM »
Another kuttrolf maker:

AUCTION

Edit: Before the auction vanishes forever, the label on the decanter reads - GLIMMA GLASBRUK, GLIMAKRA, SWEDEN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand