No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flavio Poli... but when?  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Flavio Poli... but when?
« on: April 13, 2011, 08:03:02 AM »
I've had this large bowl for a while, and was told (quite reliably, I thought) that it was an earlier piece by Poli for SVd'A, c.1942. I've just been told by someone else I trust that it's a post-1963 piece from when Poli left for Società Veneziana di Conterie e Cristallerie.

Any idea which is correct?

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Flavio Poli... but when?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:28:44 AM »
I think I have seen one of these with the red & white seguso label...but don't quote me on that one! My memory is a bit sketchy...it doesn't seem like a SVCC piece to me. Most of it was generally unispiring stuff...especially for Poli...

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:05:16 AM »
Thanks. Mine only has the faint remnants of a Pauly & C. retail label - which isn't much use.

I just hit Google up for SVCC, and came up with this: http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=2451

Very similar idea, but a much more interesting use of colour. But then a lot of designers do revisit old shapes and concepts, so mine's not a definite for SVCC by any stretch.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:04:56 AM »
Eek...that colour combo...interesting but definitely contrasting! Yes, the Pauly & Co. label is frustrating. Especially on a Poli piece as I would like confirmation on a couple of pieces myself!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »
Are there any books that deal reliably and extensively with Poli's work? I've only really two good general Murano books (Barovier's 'Venetian Art Glass' and Mentasti's 'Venetian Glass), and in both of them he's only marginally illustrated.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »
None that I am aware of. Otherwise I would be begging, stealing or buying one. Most books are the same...either pieces not by Poli listed as Poli or just small amounts of information. Although, with the collection I am getting together, i should do a Volume 1 of Poli  ::)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 12:42:47 PM »
I'd buy it.  ;D

My problem is usually sorting Poli from Pinzoni, et al. Differentiating different factories isn't too much of a problem as it's not very often that I'm confident enough with my knowledge of Murano glass to buy pricey pieces that aren't signed and/or stickered (item above excepted, obviously!).

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 02:03:10 PM »
Hi Pinkspoons,

These links may help you as far as who made your bowl.  Another member on Fossilfly posted these a while back and trust me, she knows her fine Murano glass.  

http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=2451&highlight=Flavio+Poli

http://www.kocoma.com/svcc

tam bam

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 11:06:45 PM »
The book would be interesting indeed. A small selection from the 30's, very little from the 1940's (i find this stuff harder to find) and good helping from the 50's and some from the 60's/70's. The majority being labelled. Maybe 80 pieces in total.

Interesting that you brought up Poli and Pinzoni. I recently bought a piece with a label (a label I have been trying to find for a while) on a bowl. I have one by Poli and the other one is by Pinzoni. I need to dig out the Poli piece as I want to do a comparison against this other one with the label by Pinzoni. I will take some pics and list them here, might be an interesting discussion.

I still find the green colour in the SVCC piece quite bright compared to some of the green and amber pieces I have. Even the amber looks a bit duller, more diluted than what I am used to. Or maybe it could be the lighting  :huh:

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 12:59:07 AM »
Please escuse me, Pinkspoons.  You found the link also and I seemed to have duplicated it because I didn't read the whole thread at first.  Please excuse me.  Thanks you.  I still think your piece is tops.  I would have it any day. 

tam bam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand