No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut Glass Sugar Bowl  (Read 899 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Cut Glass Sugar Bowl
« on: April 14, 2011, 02:35:55 PM »
Cut Glass sugar bowl 4.25" diam 3.75" high in its silver plated frame - frame has two bannds to hold bowl and three hoops at the top

What are the hoops for and what age is this I was guessing edwardian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Cut Glass Sugar Bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 02:11:10 PM »
Hi Adam,

I've moved this to Glass, as it's not certain that this piece is British and more people will be able to view it in the main Glass area. In general, anything unidentified is best in Glass. We'll move it once it is identified.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 07:06:02 PM »
Hi Adam  -  I'm really only guessing, but I would suggest that the flared hoops are simply echoing their shape at the bottom, i.e. where they stand  -  gives an artistic sort of flair perhaps.   Difficult to date accurately, but you might look to see if there are any marks on the metalwork........although even if there are, they might only show the bog standard  'E.P.N.S.' mark.    Being flared, you cud use these hoops to hold the object and pass around the table.       Electro plating does in fact go back a long way, much further than you might think, but if pushed I'd go for something like either before the deco period ....as you suggest, perhaps Edwardian or, going in the other direction maybe post 1940.      The design doesn't shout deco to me.     Sugars do usually have lids, I take it you don't have an accompanying lid. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:25:33 PM »
No accompanying lid

thanks for your time and suggestions

Cheers Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk