No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Martinuzzi Lamp?  (Read 2879 times)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Martinuzzi Lamp?
« on: January 25, 2006, 10:57:27 AM »
Hi Everyone!
I recently purchased this lamp, which has gold flecks on all the green parts, and applied Shell decorations all the way around! I thought the piece was Pulegoso, but it is actually a crackle or overshot style on the inside of the egg shaped lamp, and smooth on the outside.
My thought is that the piece could be a Napoleone Martinuzzi piece???
Any thoughts???

http://www.svazzo.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/shelllamp.jpg.w300h400.jpg

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
Martinuzzi Lamp?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 02:10:51 PM »
Hmmm off to the research books for the afternoon, honestly never seen a lamp like it before.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline chuggy

• Members
Martinuzzi Lamp?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 06:45:55 PM »
Is the green decoration an abstract animal or does it go all the way round? I can't find anything comparable for Martinuzzi in any of my sources. Do the electrical fittings look 1930's?
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Martinuzzi Lamp?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 01:50:42 AM »
Hi Paul,
The green bands go all the way around, with gold flecks in them, as well as the shell pieces (also all the way around). The fittings and cord look to be replaced, but the cord looks old, about 50's. I do think the piece is older from the felt pad put on the bottom. I am so tempted to take it off and see if it has a signature, lol, but I shouldnt.
I actually got a responce to this from Marino Barovier, and he thinks it is also from the 30's. Maybe a Barovier Seguso Ferro piece!?
When I saw it I had a good feeling about it :)
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline jinxi

• Members
Martinuzzi Lamp?
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 10:00:42 AM »
Hi there

This is my first posting but I have a vase whose body is almost the same but without the gold flecks and a very free flowing green glaze running down it.  It feels pitted on the inside and smooth on the outside and from the outside you cannot feel a raised area over the green, although it seems to have been applied over the body just smooth glass.

The rim of the base is not the same as yours and the foot has been ground down.  I bought it a year ago from somebody who was clearing their grandmother's effects, and thought that her grandmother had had it for 60 or 70 years and that she purchased it abroad - not England and not Germany but wasn't sure exactly where!

When you examine it under a magnifying glass it is hard to tell whether the internal structure is microscopic bubbles or pitted.  This effect runs in soft veins all through it leaving a few patches clear.  The nearest I can get to the effect is almost like that of a skeleton leaf.  It looks from a little way away or in photos to be very fragile but is actuallyvery sturdy. Interestingly, mine has the remains of a label, but only the central part remains.  I have looked at lots of pictures of murano labels and cannot find anything similar.  It appears to be a black or sepia coloured ground with a central oval - upright - containing a shape - perhaps a jug or ewer in cream within the oval -  Traces of writing remain - at the bottom which could read ? HAND in capitals.

The vase is heavy - very striking and quite large.  Approximately 8" high and 5" wide and 3 - 4" at base and rim.  T

Photography is not my strength but if my description in any way matches yours I will make an attempt.   Please let me know if our items share any of the characteristics I have described or could anyone suggest a label which matches the description?  Thanks

Offline jinxi

• Members
Martinuzzi Lamp?
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 09:25:28 AM »
Forget all the above - I have now researched my piece and it is Lotz not murano sorry to waste everyone's time!

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Martinuzzi Lamp?
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 09:01:56 PM »
no prob!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Martinuzzi Lamp?
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 01:13:42 PM »
Hi Jinxi Post some pics of the vase and its label anyway for future reference please

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
Re: Martinuzzi Lamp?
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 11:55:25 PM »
Javier,

do you still have a pic of the lamp? it's so sad when the pictures go away  :cry:

thanks,

bidda

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Martinuzzi Lamp?
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
Maybe the picture will rematerialize.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo