No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano question ??  (Read 2330 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Murano question ??
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:05:20 AM »
 :hi:

This is just a question.  I have seen splashes, swirls, twists, vertical lines, geometric designs (etc) on Murano glass BUT has Murano glass ever had wide horizontal stripes or bands of colors?

I seen a glass bowl here that I was thinking is Murano but it has wide horizontal bands on it -- and I can't seem to find anything similar.  Has anyone seen something like that by Murano?  Or was that type of design not done by them.

Just a question......Curiosity killed the   
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Murano question ??
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 04:17:52 AM »
Rose:

Yes, I can think of a couple of Murano designers who used wide horizontal stripes. But I suppose many others have as well. No chance of a photgraph?

David 
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 10:56:56 PM »
Rose:

Yes, I can think of a couple of Murano designers who used wide horizontal stripes. But I suppose many others have as well. No chance of a photgraph?

David 

No I don't ....yet David.  I am thinking of buying this item as *I think* it is Murano, but yet I have been trying to look around the net here to see if it might be.  So I have been just trying to figure out if it is, as I am just going by a picture and it is hard to tell from a Picture.  So I have just trying to figure more out about it.

I think I will buy it -- and I guess go from there... :nk:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 02:37:17 PM »
Hi Rose

As was advise before, there are a number of makers who utilise this technique and one furnace that is very prominent is Venini.  They utlised techniques such as Incalmo which was frequently used by Tapio Wirkala and other desingers including Fulvio Binanconi created patchwork vases which are extremely popular and highly sort after.

Hope this helps

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:56:55 PM »
Dean:

You are correct in that Rose could be describing an incalmo piece. If it was, a join would be clear. The piece is more likely to be bands of colour applied on the gather.  Just to clarify, Wirkkala didn't invent incalmo, he revived and fine-tuned the process that had been used in medieval Murano.  I've never seen a Bianconi incalmo piece, not in Venini: Catalogue Raisonne nor the DeBono volumes. I think you are describing Pezzato, where the piece is made up of flat pieces of glass which are then fused together and blown.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand