No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: slag Glass Tumblers - ID = Sowerby  (Read 2389 times)

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
slag Glass Tumblers - ID = Sowerby
« on: April 16, 2011, 06:58:29 AM »
Hi.  Can some help with this pair of slag glass tumblers.  Found in the North West of England.  They measure 4.5 inches (11.5 cms) high x 2.7 inches (6.5 cms) in diameter at the widest part (rim).  Colours are shade of purple & whites.  Quite heavy each one weighs almost 200 grammes.  I think there is a makers mark on the base - possibly a Y.  I've attached photos so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: slag Glass Tumblers - Can Anyone help identify age and maker please
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 07:05:11 AM »
Hi, looks like the Sowerby peacock mark upside down.  Circa 1900's I think.  Someone else might have more info.

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 08:21:30 AM »
Thanks - I did think Sowerby but I wasn't convinced about the mark - didn't look enough like a peacock.  I've attached a couple of other photos of the mark.  Might help a bit more.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 08:29:15 AM »
Definitely a Sowerby peacock mark.  They varied it a bit I think.  Have a look at the following link, scroll down to the pic of the base of a blue milk glass item, it has the same peacock mark, a little better defined:

http://www.pressedintime.com/registration%20marks.htm

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
Re: slag Glass Tumblers - ID = Sowerby
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 07:06:58 AM »
Thanks very much for the help - much appreciated

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand