No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quick question, did Tapio..........  (Read 2691 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Quick question, did Tapio..........
« on: January 26, 2006, 02:58:46 PM »
.......... make fruit in the style of Ditchfield and just sign "Tapio"? I have seen an apple and a pear today like this and wondered if he did any glass like this when he worked at Venini in the late 70's early 80's.

haven't got a picture as I didn't buy them :D , just wondered in case I should have!

Barbara

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 03:34:17 PM »
Never ever come across anything signed just Tapio. Almost all of his Venini work was initialed TW along with Venini and frequently a date year.
Some of his designs were also produced without an attribution.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 03:39:53 PM »
He didn't do fruit  then Paul? Have found this stand in an antique centre with alot of signed "studio" glass, from the 1980's and 1990's but I haven't heard of them ( not unusual for me though :shock: ) so I thought I would ask first rather than rush in as is my usual approach.

Some nice bits but after the Chism, I think it was who signed EVERYTHING, I am very wary of the stuff.

Miller St. '91 was on another piece, but haven't heard of them either :?

Barbara

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 11:44:52 PM »
Hi Barbara

Looking through 'Designlasin hintakirja' and I don't see any fruit shapes by Wirkkala - Paul is right about his work at Venini although he did design a couple of birds for them in 1966.

My Designlasin is new and pretty extensive so these fruit would be in there (IMHO) if Wirkkala designed them - he is just so well known and documented.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 06:32:53 PM »
I've been right through the Catalogue Raisonne covering 1921 to 1986 and drawn a blank so I would say 99% wrong for them.
Paul

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 03:36:07 PM »
Thank you both for looking for me, I think I did the right thing and left them  :D

Alot of the glass was signed, and dated, wonder if questionable buys on behalf of the seller, or someone with a glass engraving pen, or some rare pieces?

Will have a more careful and longer look when I go back next time.

Barbara

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 08:21:13 AM »
Found some Venini fruit pieces from the 1950's, but ALL are signed with the circular acid mark of the period.
Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand