No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: PY crown [actually a Flower on Filigree Cushion]  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Roger H

• Members
PY crown [actually a Flower on Filigree Cushion]
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:00:53 PM »
       Hi all, bought this weight a while ago, and yes it is PY Harland period, but there seems to be very few latticino crowns about (Harland period) or did most go to the USA (with a PY) into collections there. Regards Roger.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: PY crown
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 02:04:04 AM »
I am envious  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:40:28 AM »
I must admit I usually think of this weight as a filigree cushion rather than a crown

Any other views??

Roy

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:51:35 PM »
I agree with Roy. It's a flower on filigree cushion, not a crown (although the cushion does follow the same form as a Crown weight, especially those that have the Crown flattened rather than rising to the top of the dome).

In Colin Mahoney's book on Paul Ysart weights, he described this design as being a "Flower with Radial Ground".

The Harland weights with an H cane were intended for the UK market. I do not know how many of this design were made but I think that most had a PY cane and were shipped to the US. I have seen very few of the H cane versions.

I do not have an example of this design (or a Crown, for that matter) so I, too, could generate a bit of jealousy on a bad day. :)
KevinH

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 03:16:20 PM »
      Yes I rather loved it at the time of purchase but it was a £100 more than many "H" weights. As they say somewhere in this country, you don't get owt for nowt, or something like that.
       I see what you mean by filigree cushion, although looking through the perthshire book a couple of the crowns look very similar. Doesn't really matter one way or the other really I suppose, a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet. Actually looking at the side view I guess the raised filigree cushion is certainly more accurate. Regards Roger.

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 03:57:21 PM »
HI there.

There's a rather nice example of a Paul Ysart  crown on the 'weights-and-things'  website (or rather there was  -  it's now residing chez moi! )

See the pictures at:

http://www.weights-n-things.com/en/modern-paperweights/europe/ysart-paul/5-colour-crown-harland-1970s.html

Cheers

Keith
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 04:54:07 PM »
    Yes that is definately, a full crown weight. Are they the same colours as my weight or not . My wife says my weight is brownish orange filigree but I say to me it is greenish brown. The problem is I am a bit colour blind which means I often see colours in a different way to others. Roger H.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 10:17:27 PM »
I think the colours are different.

According to my monitor and my eyes (or brain) ...

Keith's Crown is made with lengths of "coloured twists" having a central coloured core and an outer white twist (with single or multiple strands). The twists are set over a pale lemon ground.

Roger's Cushion weight has simple white twists (but with both single and multiple threads) set over a pale (transluscent?) orange ground.
KevinH

Offline Roger H

• Members
Re: PY crown [actually a Flower on Filigree Cushion]
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 04:41:15 PM »
       Yes you are exactly right with the setup and colours. What I ment to say was orange "with" filigree. Roger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand