No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wirkkala for Venini  (Read 7647 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Wirkkala for Venini
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »
A recent acquisition that I'm struggling to find a reference for - a large 4-part incalmo bowl/vase with two ambery-green sections, a thin band of dark green, and an inset base of a subtly opalescent ruby.

Signed to the base Venini TW 86, and bearing a 1980s plastic label.

It's not illustrated in the Deboni volumes, although it might be related to 'Pianissimo'...  :huh:

Any suggestions? (apologies for the photo quality)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Wirkkala for Venini
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 03:34:18 PM »
????????????

Just off the top of my head, could it say Venini Toso 86, but that in JUST a Guess ??????????????

:thud:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:49:42 PM »
Hi Pinkspoons,

Tapio Wirkkala passed away in 1985 so I doubt your piece was designed by him.  Although he did design incalmo pieces for Venini.  Your piece is just stunning.  I will try to do more research on what the tw is and what it means to Venini. 

tam bam

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 03:55:37 PM »
Is this something ** HERE and also ** HERE  Scroll to the Highlighted areas... :)

??? From 1989, scroll to the highlighted areas here too -- No picture Click Here
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 04:17:24 PM »
I have one Incalmo TW from the Venini years and it is signed Venini Italia (one line) and has a square block transparent label. I have never found a reasonable listing of TW production while he was AD at Venini..

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 04:19:30 PM »
I think the 1986 date refers to year of production, rather than year of design. I've seen a few widely catalogued Wirkkala designs, originally from the mid/late 60s, bearing 1980s labels and this same 'TW' signature with varying years.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 04:22:43 PM »
This design is listed in Deboni (as a design from 1966):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tapio-Wirkkala-Glass-Platter-Charger-Venini-1988-/160484711578

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 04:29:29 PM »
I'm struggling with that too, Ivo. It seems all sources focus almost exclusively on the 4-5 well known series he produced (a common problem I'm finding for a few designers within Murano literature).

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 06:19:51 PM »
Ok, after doing some more researching perhaps Venini reproduced the design in a later year like they do for their Versace line.  I wasn't thinking about that possibility until about 5 minutes ago.  It is very possible you have a Wirkkala design that was reproduced at a later date.  Perhaps it was tribute to him passing the previous year.  Who knows?  Venini is a very complicated company.  I would write to them and see what they say about the piece.  They are pretty good about responding to emails.

tam bam  

P.S. - Good job, Rose!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 08:07:38 PM »
Venini does have things that were designed in one year, then made or reproduced in later years. I remember one time seeing a fish signed Fulvio Bianconi that was made a year after he died according to the dates. I wrote the Bianconi family to ask about it, and yes, it was a Bianconi design. It really isn't unusual if one thinks about it. The glass is not signed by the person themselves, but by someone else simply stating who did the design. (I wonder if they might reproduce the designs a year after the person dies as a tribute since the Bianconi fish and this bowl were made a year after the deaths. I've never heard this one way or another, but it would be a wonderful tribute, especially if some of the money goes to the estates or charity.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand