No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wirkkala for Venini  (Read 7671 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Wirkkala for Venini
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 08:23:23 PM »
It's a nice thought, but the very droolworthy large charger in the eBay link above is dated for 1988 - three years after his death.

I'll try dropping Venini an email - perhaps they can shed some light on the series name, if it had one, and its original design date.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 06:37:23 AM »
Nic:

Is the diameter of your bowl 28 cm? If so, it's pictured on p. 292 of Designlasin, which has most, if not all, of Wirkkala's designs for Venini. There's a bowl and a big vase. There's no name given for the design. The description (it's in Finnish) says something about different production periods affecting the value, which would be consistent with your label and signature.

Asking Venini is the best idea.  Nice piece, btw.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 07:10:43 AM »
Excellent. Thanks for that. I don't suppose it gives a year of design?

I tried getting in touch with Venini, but after filling in the contact form the site decided that it didn't like IE7 and went straight to an error page.  >:(

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 09:39:54 AM »
I think the 1986 date refers to year of production, rather than year of design. I've seen a few widely catalogued Wirkkala designs, originally from the mid/late 60s, bearing 1980s labels and this same 'TW' signature with varying years.

I have a few earlier pieces by Tapio signed TW. It is most likely a re-issued (for lack of a better word - i am drained) design by Tapio for Venini to celebrate a great designer after his death in 1985. After all, wasn't he the only designer to have his name on pieces produced at Venini?! . So i think this is very respectful to the memory of someone who's design and influence did not only include glass. I think it is an authentic piece and a great find.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 10:35:27 AM »
Nic:

Designlasin gives dates of production rather than year of design. My translation of the Finnish (not totally reliable) says that it was produced in the 80's and then separately in the 90's, so you've got the one of the first runs. Venini: Catalogue Raisonne has Wirkkala working for Venini until 1980 although it doesn't show any designs he did after 1972.

David

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 11:16:40 AM »
Oh, so Designlasin is (possibly) intimating that it was a Wirkkala design not produced immediately after it was designed, but was issued for the first time after his death? Or am I reading it wrong?

Holmegaard did something similar last decade with some Verner Panton lighting designs they'd had in archive since the 1960s.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 11:22:12 AM »
Nic:

My take is that that was designed very late in Wirrkala's stay at Venini, produced in the 80's, including the period after he left Venini, and then produced again in the 1990's. I don't think it's possible to be more definitive than that, at least from using Designlasi.  I still think contacting Venini will give you the best info.

David

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 11:30:43 AM »
The design looks closer the items he was producing in the 1960s - but I suppose most designers revisit their past eventually.

I'll try contacting Venini again through a different browser.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 02:15:39 AM »
I just noticed that Bill Geary's book Scandinavian Glass has Wirkkala working for Venini until 1982, not a big change, but closer to 1986.

David

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 05:23:53 AM »
Deboni also gives 1982 in the 2-volume Venini book.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand