No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early pressed glass Peter Robinson & Edward Bolton Comport 1856  (Read 9859 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
A very early registered pressed glass comport made by Peter Robinson & Edward Bolton . Made at the Orford Lane Glassworks in Warrington Lancashire.

Very heavy weighs over 2kg . Diametr 8", height 7.75".

Registered on the 23rd June 1856 and in near perfect condition it will be added to my collection of clear pressed glass.

Roy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Early pressed glass Peter Robinson & Edward Bolton Comport 1856
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 07:48:29 PM »
Nice one Roy. Don't think I've seen a piece I know was made in Warrington!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 04:37:18 PM »
yes, lovely piece Roy, I'm envious.       The foot seems relatively smallish in diameter in relation to the weight and size.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 08:29:57 PM »
Paul

The base is slightly smaller in diameter than you would have thought but still extremely safe for tipping over due to the weight and thickness of the base

Roy

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:33:11 PM »
2 more items in the same pattern and both registered to Peter Robinson and Edward Bolton for 23 June 1856.

A small oval dish 5.25" or 13cm x 3.5" / 9cm weight 228gm.

A plate diameter 9.25" / 23.5cm weight 1022gm

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:49:38 PM »
lucky you Roy  -  very nice additions to your collection  -  a coincidence indeed to find these so soon after the comport :)    Do the Nos. look quite sharp??

By the way, I saw last week the other 'smashed' very yellow/green uranium salt you left behind in 'that' shop  -  I do visit that town on a regular basis, but I will have to go more regularly  -  you seem to be finding some good pieces. ;D           I know there is another GMB member who also visits - we must be on our guard ;) ;)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 06:24:02 AM »
Paul to be honest the plate I have had longer than the comport as I discovered it recently in my garden shed. I must of had a few years as I cannot remember where it came from.

The small oval bowl came from a charity shop last week , one of those pieces you pick up and surprised its got a date lozenge, the mark on the plate is large and very clear while the mark is quite clear  but very small on the oval dish and you have to read it through the glass.

I do go to that town quite often as well, 3 times in about 10 days a few weeks ago and quite surprised how much changed each time . Had to take my wife down who was buying Pandora bits from the Jellewers either side of the river.

I have a clue who that GMB member may be  :-X

Roy

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
Hi all,
Whilst researching a piece I picked up this morning found this thread and thought I would add my piece to it and keep the info together (sorry for the hyjack)
The V&A take much better pictures than I do so take a look at the link, also has some info on Peter Robinson & Edward Bolton
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O6994/flower-trough-boat/
Rd no 39414, 11 dec 1885.
33cm in length, 8cm in height, 900g (the Rd no can be found on the inside of the stern end)
 It is filthy rotten dirty, When I clean it up will get some better pictures
Hope you enjoy
michelle
Also some great info here
http://www.inchicore-pressedglass-museum.org/Edward%20Bolton1.htm

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 06:41:18 PM »
thanks Michelle  -  and I assume there should be a stand for your boat but presumably you have only the boat - I'm guessing it was a boot sale.         As I said somewhere else recently, I also seem to never find the stands, so maybe they suffered from demise early in their lives.   If you want to see a boat to die for, have a look in Raymond Notley's small booklet - 'Popular Glass of the C19 and C20 Centuries' (a Miller's offering).   There is a very rare 14" Sowerby boat on original stand, in semi-opaque, sea green opal glass c.1885  -  and I see that the V. & A. aren't immune from losing stands either ;)

I think we should have a thread showing our various boats :)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 10:51:27 PM »
Funnily enough when I bought it, it was the one in 'Popular Glass of the C19 and C20 Centuries' that I was thinking of, that was the first place I checked when I got home with it.
It was indeed a boot sale find and a good one at £1.50 I think.
Do you have any images of one with a stand Paul or would it have been the same style as the one in the 'Popular Glass of the C19 and C20 Centuries' ?
thanks
michelle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand