No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Konstglas Vetlanda  (Read 3670 times)

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Konstglas Vetlanda
« on: January 26, 2006, 11:31:42 PM »
Hi all, I just got this piece in the mail. It has a nice lable that says Konstglas Vetlanda, so easy to look up. Wrong! Help, I can't find anything  except sites in Swedish.

I am showing it with a black background, that seems to show up the white stripes better. It is ten and half inches tall, the base a perfect ground and polished pontil. No marks, but there is a small lable that says made in Sweden.
I have looked in all my Scandinavian books to no avail. Anyone have any info, Thanks in advance Terry

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Vetlanda
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 07:50:26 PM »
Vetlanda is a commune in the western part of Smaland. Lindshamma
Glass Works is located in this commune.

I know of no other glass works or glass studio here.
Bill Geary

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
Konstglas Vetlanda
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 09:10:50 AM »
Glasswizard,

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:yLGTL_A7LhAJ:www.vadagg.com/artglass.htm+Konstglas+Vetlanda&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=27

second item down (corrected on their live site) - their description suggests they might know something about this factory.

Also the wikopedia reference for Vetlanda (I know it's not definitive !), suggests that the Ekenäs glass factory was close by (I think).

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vetlanda_kommun

taylog1

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Konstglas Vetlanda
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 09:40:00 AM »
Thanks Bill and Taylog, I now have somewhere to start. Terry

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Konstglas Vetlanda
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 10:07:49 AM »
.....but at least Glaset SWEDEN and Vetlanda  konstglas has made similar ones, not sure who made this

If there is no record of a glass maker who produced under the name "Vetlanda" then it is likely to be a retail label.  
The mention of "glaset Sweden" in the quote suggests their knowledge of the field is a bit shaky:  "glaset" being 'its glass', the previous word must have been omitted!

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Konstglas Vetlanda
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 12:34:39 PM »
One must be careful when talking about glass i Sverige.

Glass = ice cream

glas = glass

glaset = the glass - an ett word.

Bill Geary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand