No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Satin Vase  (Read 2334 times)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Unusual Satin Vase
« on: January 27, 2006, 12:15:23 AM »
I've had this vase for a while now, and I had asked about it much earlier in another topic, regarding the cleaning of Satin glass (along with my Balboa fish sign), but I never showed the photo.

First, what is the thought on this being a Murano piece or not?

http://www.svazzo.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/satinglobe.jpg.w300h225.jpg

It is so similar to the Balboa fish sign, and really looks to me made of the same material and color! So thats a good thing.

It is super thick and heavy. I cant find a signature or remnants of a label. It has a little opening on top, with a ground bottom and small round inverted pontil mark. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks again!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline glasshunter

• Members
Re: Unusual Satin Vase
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 04:14:44 AM »
wow thats a dandy balboa is a italian name or is that the name of the fish.

Offline circull

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 09:39:29 PM »
hi there.
it would be good to see the details of the eye, mouth, tail, base mount and pontil area to help more.
truly,
chad

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »
 ;D

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 01:01:49 AM »
I just found an interesting listing on Ebay and thought I would share it with you.  Balboa seems to be a glasshouse. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Venini-Latticino-and-Ribbons-Hanging-Lamp_W0QQitemZ260486528501QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca634fdf5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

tam bam

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 06:22:14 AM »
Balboa was a New York importer and distributor for several Murano glass makers - so yes, the pieces are Murano, and the shopwindow sign was specially made possibly by Seguso.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand