No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bubble golden amber vase + large polished pontil mark - Webb or S&W or who?  (Read 3800 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Probably need Nigel on this one , but i agree not W/Fs . jp

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Thanks for your vote of confidence John, but I fear a little misplaced on this one :o

I certainly agree with the prevailing opinion that these are not Whitefriars/Powell. The question is whether it is possible to hone it down to Webb, or S&W. My hunch is that they are likely to be S&W; they produced bubbling like this and the shape. The pontil on Anne's would be consistant with this as well.

Yet, Keith's appears to be a different colour (deeper amber) with a smaller diameter pontil. Added to this we have different sizes, if I've read this all correctly.

My problem is that I have examples of bubbled glass by both factories - Webb because it is marked on the base, and S&W because I have found them in the original Description Books (drawings) for the company.

Although this topic seems to come up from time to time, as has been pointed out, I have been looking at the archives for S&W for other research and therefore have not checked this one out. So, to sum up, I believe I have added nothing to the knowledge base on this one, just maybe confirmed that we are all right to be looking at these two companies for the attribution, (see what I mean John??).

Cheers, Nigel

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Nigel, thank you so much. At least I know I was heading in the right direction to begin with.  8)

I really know so very little about either company's production - are there any books covering either or both that would be worth buying please Nigel? There is some info about them in Roger Dodsworth British Glass Between the Wars and in Angus Butterworth's British Table and Ornamental Glass (but the latter hasn't really much of substance about either works' output.) Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Hello Anne,

Those two are probably the best, but there are also books on both companies:

"The Crystal Years: A tribute to the Skills and Artistry of Stevens & Williams Royal Brierley Crystal" by RS Williams-Thomas

"Art, Feat and Mystery : The Story of Thomas Webb & Sons, Glassmakers" HW Woodward

Of course there is also the recent book by Charles Hajdamach "20th Century British Glass".

Unfortuanatley, none of them give you the information that I have given you - such as that is :huh: All of them give clues to some characteristics, but much of what I say is gained through experience of handling items, combined with a modicum of research. Mostly, they seem to deal with the more up-market items by both companies, although Hajdamach does discuss some of the production wares, particularly from the post war era, with some emphasis toward cut glass (the work of David Hammond for Webb). Some of the things I have identified to do with S&W over the years are discussed in the text of Hajdamach, but sadly not illustrated.

I hope that may be of some help, Nigel

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
It certainly is, thanks Nigel. I'll add them to my books wanted list pdq and see if I can run them to earth. Every snippet of info is helpful for sure. :)

Offline keith

• Members
Thanks also,got the Webb one and have now added 'The Crystal Years' to my 'to get' list,ta,
                                                                                                  Keith.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
For what it's worth, just a thought on this continuing saga  -  I notice that the bubble shape on both Anne's and Keith's pieces is similar (not sure how tall your vase is Keith)  i.e. most bubbles having a tendency towards being vaguely roundish.   Looking at my vase, and two other 9" examples I have seen, the bubbles are noticeably much more elongated throughout the entire height of the vase.   Really quite a different shape of bubble, but whether this has anything to do with the size of vase, I can't say.

Keith - I don't have the book on Webb's  -  what was the printing date, and does it have lots of pictures.   I'm lost without pictures - I find images easier to remember than words ;D

Offline keith

• Members
Paul;
      The book was published in 1978,only 61 pages,some good pictures but not as many as I'd like,they had some at Broadfield House last time I was there.Picture of vase base showing pontil mark and bubbles(6 inches)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Adam has one too: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40170.0.html (cross-referencing link)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand