No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thick-walled golden amber rectangular vase ID=Klaus Breit, Wiesenthalhütte  (Read 13298 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Sorry to bump this, but I am really interested in what you think about my "German Uranium sommerso vase" :)

Am I right that the inner layer is Uranium glass? I guessed so because of the strong green glow in sunlight. Or would a Manganese glow be visible in daylight, too?
And would the thick amber layer explain why the glow isn't visible at the sides of the vase, just at the rim, and why Dirk couldn't see it? (Depending on the design of the rim in his vase).

Anyway, it is an absolutely stunning technique...
Astrid, is this mentioned in the Wiesenthalhütte book?

Thanks,
Michael

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Michael, see if you can position the light to shine into it, and see whether the inner surface glows. From your description it shouldn't because if that inner layer were uranium you'd expect the glow to show through the amber layer, but it would help settle the issue one way or the other.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Thank you very much for your contribution, Cathy!
I was thinking Uranium because the (glowing) green inner layer is only obvious in bright daylight. So you think this may just be green coloured glass without Uranium content?

I will try to test the vase at work next week -- if it doesn't glow bright under the blacklights there (two batteries of 6 UV fluorescents each ;D), it is certainly not Uranium...

Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Tested at work today; now it's official -- no green glow even under several strong UV fluorescents. Only the orange glow Dirk observed in his vase.

I promise I will not test for Uranium at home any more until I have a better blacklight! :-[

Still a fascinating use of colours with the thick amber around the bright green (non Uranium :usd:) layer.
And quite elaborate --  maybe that is why the use of "spectral gelb" was omitted so soon?

Michael

Offline dirk.

• Members
Sorry for not coming back earlier! Been a bit busy for the last days...
I´ve just checked my vase again and it seems to consist of three layers. The middle layer shows a strong
cadmium glow while the others don´t. I remember a similar reaction on this Gralglas piece:
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096/Gralglas#5588847697145821618
Wether it´s just a question of the colour effect or technical reasons as well (the glassblower taking more
glass after blowing the first little bubble) is beyond my knowledge I´m afraid.  :huh:
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Thank you very much for looking once more, Dirk!
My vase has definately 2 layers (I think the thin bright-green layer is quite clearly visible in my close-up pics).

Still nice that Wiesenthalhütte put so much effort in a single-coloured block vase :)

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand