No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can you confirm - vase by Maria Stahlikova?  (Read 2985 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Can you confirm - vase by Maria Stahlikova?
« on: April 24, 2011, 03:03:36 PM »
Bought this beauty in Switzerland last week (paradise for glass collectors :)).
Height appr. 16cm.

I think it is Skrdlovice by Maria Stahlikova, at least it looks similar to the one pictured here in CGR 1961-11: http://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/Glasrevue196111?authkey=Gv1sRgCMLS4bnjxOKIoQE#5440637758972389218
Mine has two beaks instead of one, and the applied strip of glass is different as well...

It bears a generic "Bohemia Glass - Made in Czechoslovakia" label.

Thanks!
Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Can you confirm - vase by Maria Stahlikova?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 04:24:07 PM »
Hi Michael,
I have the same vase. I am very sure it is Skrdlovice and is very likely the same pattern as shown in the CGR journal, as designed by M. Stahlikova. A slight differences may be explained by hand made production techniques. Please email me, if agreeable, since I have a question I would like to ask you regarding one of your pieces,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 05:38:44 PM »
Robert, thank you very much for your answer!
I am sure you are right that the difference in shape may be due to the hotworking technique...

Is there a reason why they put a Skrdlovice label on one item, and a Bohemia label on the other?

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 08:53:34 PM »
A small correction. There seems to have been some confusion at the time Emanuel Beranek left and this vase appeared with three numbers, two were slightly different. The differences you noticed in your first post are explained by this, not just hot worked production. The vase 5857  became 5933 (the vase we have) and then later Stahlikova redesigned it slightly and the one you refer to in CGR is 6017 with one peak as you describe it. This is credited to Stahlikova-Veliskova, along with lots of others they designed using a murano style with a creative Czech design twist. They together also designed successfully as a team at Harrachov, using techniques of fibres inserted into the glass, seemingly related technologies to the Harrtil and equally as impressive, perhaps more so.  

I attach a picture of my vase and I have label envy. My label is in slightly worse condition. You can see some differences in hot worked production between our vases though, the shape and quantity of colour is different and the applied piece is slightly different.

The use of a specific factory label or not, I do not know about though. Maybe some sellers preferred one or the other, possible export rules for different countries, I do not know.

Robert

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand