No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Question re: Sowerby 2583 vase.  (Read 1227 times)

Offline glassaddict

• Members
Question re: Sowerby 2583 vase.
« on: April 16, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »
Hi everyone, I have a query with regard to the base of the Sowerby 2583 vases and wonder if someone could enlighten me. I have seen many of these vases but always with 4 feet at the base. The one I purchase today has a stepped base (see attached picture) and was wondering if this base is scarcer than the ones with feet as illustrated on Glen's 2nd CD.
Many thanks for your thoughts
Hil  :)

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
Re: Question re: Sowerby 2583 vase.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »
My memory is getting a bit rusty now and I'm ashamed to say that I've forgotten what 2583 looks like.  However, your vase looks more like 2487 to me.  I have never seen one turned over like this, but people will do anything if they are desparate to increase sales!

Adam D.

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 12:32:08 PM »
Ah thank you Adam,
Of course you are completely right - it is not the 2583 but the 2487. I knew there was something unusual about it and in my senior moment, focussed on the base rather than the turning.
Thanks for your help
Hil :)

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 12:01:34 PM »
Hi, I have a lovely one of these in uranium yellowish green,with the flower holder inside. Are they not bigger than the ones with feet? Mine is 9 inches across and 6 inches tall. I have a blue one with the feet somewhere in the roof!!!    Cheryl

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand