No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: confirmation of Wedgwood tankard  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
confirmation of Wedgwood tankard
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »
with this 'rose' colour, thought there was a very good chance of this being Wedgwood, and colour is marvered into the outside over clear glass.   Nicely ground/polished pontil, and stands about 4.25"/110mm tall.     Have looked all over, but unable to see any acid backstamp.    Holds about 14 fluid ounces (approaching 3/4 of a pint) - about 0.4 of a litre.    I've looked thru Susan Tobins book, but don't think there are pics of a similar tankard, and although there are several mentioned in the index, I'm not sure which one this might be.    Would be grateful if someone is able to let me know which reference No. this refers to, and thanks for looking.

Ref. 'Wedgwood Glass'  -  Susan Tobin  -  2001.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: confirmation of Wedgwood tankard
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:15:45 PM »
Doubt it. Far more likely to be Stevens and Williams or the maker of the multi-coloured speckled tankards

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:18:46 PM »
Paul it looks like a sister to my green one here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,21920.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 01:45:30 PM »
ohhh - and I actually gave four quid for it >:(  -  because I seemed to recall  - whilst out this morning  -  that it looked like the speckly finish on some of the Wedgwood animals  -  but now that I'm looking at my porpoise/dolphin I see the coloured flecking is inside the piece, and not on the outside like this tankard.       The colour seemed right for Wedgwood tho., and the nicely finished pontil mark looked quality.      Just reminds me to be more careful when taking a chance when out collecting.     My thanks to both of you for your help :)   

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 02:54:03 PM »
No one said they weren't nice quality, just that we can only speculate who made them.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 07:15:22 PM »
sorry, you lost me there Christine :huh: - to me the polished pontil looked as tho it imparted some quality, and had I chosen not to buy the tankard it wud have been only  because I was doubting the Wedgwood provenance  -  not because I considered it lacked quality.    However....................looking again, I see the handle does in fact lack some finesse - where it attached to the body it seems a little crudely finished, and although not broken, the finish is a little sharp.     Your speculation is always valued.    Will put away, and hope - like the Magnor - someone is clever enough to find a maker. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »
You've lost me completely...  :huh:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »
oh, I hope not, you're too valuable Christine  :)
If you have the time, will you please have a look at the colourway/texture on Keith's greenish vase (think it's the 11th item down) in the following link ..............http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37460.msg205248.html#msg205248.........it does seem to look rather similar to the finish on my pink tankard - or am I just plain wrong.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 05:06:54 PM »
It is. I said Stevens and Williams earlier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum