No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help to identify rubina verde candlesticks - ID = Reich Viktoria  (Read 3558 times)

Offline parkinh

• Members
Can anyone please tell me anything about these pink & green candlesticks.  I was told they were depression glass from the 1930's but can't find anything anywhere on anything similar.  Regards, Heather (Melbourne, Australia)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Please help to identify
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 12:34:31 PM »
Hi and welcome to the gmb!

I think these might prove to be quite interesting - it looks very like the green glass is coloured using uranium, and while this is a good feature on it's own, to find it in this sort of "blended" two-tone in conjunction with the pink in this manner is a bit special.
I'm sure somebody who knows this sort of stuff will be along shortly and tell you more - this isn't my area.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 01:47:44 PM »
hello Heather  -  Your sticks look very much like a single example I found last year  -  however, to be certain that they really are 'rubina verde' you will need to test them with a uv torch (which I suspect you may well not have) - although I have a strong feeling that they are this rather uncommon combination of pink and Uranium mixture.    If you can beg steal or borrow a uv torch you will be truly impressed with the effect (best seen in the dark).    My thanks to Lustrusstone for her help on this matter, and they are manufactured as 'pressed glass', and whilst you thoughts on the date may well be approximately correct, they are not 'depression glass'.    I'm attaching the link from my post last September...

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,35990.msg195517.html#msg195517

lovely find, :mrgreen: where I wonder is the rest of the trinket set. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »
They're definitely rubina verde. I can see the uranium glow from here!  :mrgreen: But as for maker...

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
I've been learning from Christine - and I could see the uranium glow in the pictures too - without a black light  :smg:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline parkinh

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 08:31:31 AM »
Thank you all so much for your speedy responses.  I not only didn't know what these were I'm also knew to this type of forum and didn't hold much hope in getting a reply ..... I'm one very impressed little Aussie!

I don't have a uv light but I bought them on ebay where the seller included a photo saying that they were uranium glass.  Here is another photo showing it under uv. [Mod: eBay photo (showing a clear "uranium glow") removed as per Board Guidelines (thanks for the confirmation of the image status, Heather).]

Once again, thank you so much for the information.

Regards, Heather.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 01:47:40 PM »
I'm sure we're not finished yet - we still need to find the maker!  :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline parkinh

• Members
Rubina Verde glass
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 01:18:48 AM »
Dear all,

Thanks to your info I did a search under Rubina Verde and found a similar pair of candle sticks on ebay in America with the description [Mod: now a link] below. Just wondering if this makes any sense to anyone over there.  If this is correct it would indicate that they were made in America.  The person I purchased them off said that her husband picked them up for her in England at some stage.

Mod: eBay auction text replaced by this link.

Regards,
Heather

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 01:48:24 AM »
Hi Heather,

Welcome to the Board.

Please note that, with my moderator hat on, I have changed your copied eBay listing text to a link to the actual auction listing. It is always best to provide a link, or the auction number, to avoid possible problems with copyright issues, especially with a live eBay listing.

Also, is the UV photo of your candlestick one that you copied from the listing at the time you made the purchase? If so, it will need to be removed (which a Moderator can do) unless you have the person's permission to use the image here. Again it's a copyright issue which we try to avoid on this Board, as per the Guidelines on Using Copyright Material.

I hope somebody will soon be able to fully confirm an identity for your candle holders.

KevinH

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 08:02:15 AM »
I wouldn't put any faith in that seller's attributions, as they seem to have little idea of glass manufacturing techniques. Those candlesticks are pressed, not blown for a start. Hobbs Brockunier did indeed made rubina verde, but I would look to Czechoslovakia or Germany or somewhere similar for yours. You would be better searching for the shape rather than for items in rubina verde. I'd start here http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/ in the 1930s catalogues, but you might be some time.  >:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand