No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Puzzling inscription on Percival Vickers EPNS stand  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Puzzling inscription on Percival Vickers EPNS stand
« on: January 28, 2006, 08:46:24 AM »
I have recently acquired what I call a lampshade vase in an EPNS stand. This unusual item is by Percival Vickers of Manchester, well-known pattern Rd No 168130 of 13 March 1891 (see Thompson, p46). It is from a lampshade mould, but instead of cupping the rim and then flaring it to provide a collar for the three-screw fixing of a lamp, it has been left straight and embellished by cut oval windows. The pointed end at the base has also been cut, with a simple star. The vase is supported by a rod and ball EPNS stand that looks like a giant Hamilton or egg-ended bottle stand.

Under the upper ring of the stand is a punched inscription in a flowing script. It is difficult to read and impossible to photograph as it has been punched into a rod, not a flat surface, so most of the letters are missing their tops and bottoms.    This is unusual, as it is the first time I have seen any mark other than a pattern number on any example of Manchester glass associated metalwork.

The inscription reads "Electro Plated ???? Nickel Silver 10735". Each word, including "????", was from a single punch, but the pattern number was punched using individual number punches. I have checked my two reference guides, Mappin, 1999 (British EPNS marks), and Matheau-Raven, 1997 (Sheffield Electroplated marks), to no avail - there is nothing resembling this mark, although both books only list marks that assist in attribution.

So, what possibilities are there for "????"? It is a short word or abbreviation, probably of four letters, and looks something like "C/m/", "Clml", or "Gml".    I cannot make it fit one obvious possibility "hardsoldered" in any way, so it must be something else.    Another possibility is an abbreviation for either "German metal" or "German silver", but I have never seen this name for nickel silver used in addition to "nickel silver".

Any ideas would be gratefully welcomed.   Also does anyone know of a silver / silver plate equivalent to this glass message board?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Puzzling inscription on Percival Vickers EPNS stand
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 09:32:14 PM »
Bernard, incredibly well described, but can we also see a photo please?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand