No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glassmaker William Brown - were did he came from?  (Read 5223 times)

Offline Glasmacher

• Members
Glassmaker William Brown - were did he came from?
« on: April 28, 2011, 09:23:05 PM »
My name is Karl-Heinz Cegla from Norway.

I try to find out more about the glassmaker family Brun (also called Brunn, Bronne, Braun) They were travelling around in Europe. 1740 Nicolaus Brun (Brunn/Bronne) and his family worked at a glasfactory in Ilmenau (Germany). Brun (Norwegian, French) = Brown (English)= Braun (German)

Later on about 1745 they moved on to Norway and worked at Nöstetangen glashytte and Aas grönne glashytte. I do not know if this family originally came from Netherland, France or Germany. 

Around 1755 several glassworkers with English names came to Nöstetangen glashytte in Norway. I read about names like James Keith, Thomas Lochland, William Fagnell, Joseph Pyne, Thomas Sims, James Swinger, Joseph Thomson and a WILLIAM BROWN. I do not know if there is any connection between my Brun-family and the Brown-family in England. If you have any information about the glassmaker William Brown please let me know.

If you know about any other  “glassmakerforum” with persons who exchange information about glass history or  a person who is working with the immigration of glassworkers to England please let me know.

Best regards from Norway

Karl-Heinz Cegla

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Glassmaker William Brown - were did he came from?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 03:29:10 PM »
Hello Karl-Heinz and welcome to the GMB.

I did look through the book Glassmakers of Stourbridge & Dudley 1612-2002, by Jason Ellis, but there is not mention of Brown (or any other derivative you suggest). This rules out the main centre of Stourbridge as a likely place, although the book is about the main protagonists (managers, owners, highly-skilled craftsman, etc) so if this William Brown was just a glass worker he would not feature. Another book is Old English Glass Houses by Francis Buckley but unfortunately there is no index to search.

Sadly, Brown is quite a common surname (as it is elsewhere on the continent) so it may prove rather difficult to get a positive lead and any lead may prove rather tenuous. William has also been a popular first name for many centuries and will continue to be so with our future King just getting married!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glasmacher

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »
Hello David,
thank you for looking through the book "Glassmakers of Stourbridge & Dudley 1612-2002". Now i know that William Stourbridge is not the right area. I will collect your information. I think William Brown came from the Newcastle/Liverpool area because some of the other names i mentioned came from this area.
If you know any person from this area who is working with glasshistory please let me know.

Best to you

Karl-Heinz from Norway

Offline flyboy90

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 01:32:27 PM »
Try Broadfield House they have a very good index.I surprised no-one pointed you in that direction!!
john.smith@dudley.gov.uk

Offline Glasmacher

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 02:57:48 PM »
Thank you John :)
Best from Norway

Karl-Heinz

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 05:27:39 AM »
John Smith has now retired. I would try Broadfield House direct.

http://www.dudley.gov.uk/glassmuseum/
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline flyboy90

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »
Just to let you David I am still working part-time at Broadfield House and still answering the enquiries! feel free to use that email address it is current.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 10:02:37 AM »
Sorry John, I didn't recognise your ID there! Glad to see you are still helping out there as you can rarely replace experience.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand