No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Getting water out of decanters, bottles, etc  (Read 1404 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Getting water out of decanters, bottles, etc
« on: April 29, 2011, 02:45:20 PM »
I have from time to time found this to be a pain - especially the last couple of drops.  I came across this suggestion that I passed on to a friend some time back.  Hope it is useful to someone else.

Find an airtight(as close as possible) box that will fit the decanter plus a small open plastic container(or an old tin) which will have Calcium Chloride in it.  Calcium Chloride is very hygroscopic – it seeks out water.  It will eventually dissolve itself in the water it extracts from the air.  It is closely related to salt (Sodium Chloride) so care must be taken to keep it away from metals or they will corrode rapidly.  It can be bought at a Chemist’s I seem to remember.  Place the Calcium Chloride in the plastic container and seal the box.   Check regularly and you will find it extracts the water from the air so that in the bottle (or decanter) will evaporate and is then trapped.  You can re-use the calcium chloride by gently boiling the water away until you havre the dry "salt" again.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Getting water out of decanters, bottles, etc
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 03:12:57 PM »
Another way is to go to the store about buy the 91-93% ethyl alcohol. Put a little in the bottle and swish it around, then pour out. Invert to get the alcohol out. Alcohol absorbs water. We use it in histological labs to dry water from tissues. Works wonderfully and quickly for glass.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 03:15:42 PM »
Well if you are not going to actually use the decanter or dottle its easier than that. Just buy some 91% Isolpropyl Alcohol, add 1/2" to the piece & swirl it around, pour it out  & stand it upright to drain what few drops of alcohol are left. It will displace any water & the alcohol will evaporate within 5 minutes leaving it spotless.

Edit: Well I see Anita & I were posting at approx the same time.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 03:21:25 PM »
remember never, ever to try to burn the alcohol off!

(I did once. Lost my eyebrows, but I nearly lost the contents of my bowels as well.)

The easiest way to get the last bit of water out is to do the final rinse in distilled/deionised water, then shove in a wick of kitchen roll. It's hygroscopic and will grab hold of any moisture.

(But I keep distilled water in the house at all times anyway - I need it for my insectivorous plants)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 07:12:02 PM »
  :hi: Sue sounds like your middle name is Lucky or are you just competing with me for disasters .  :srn:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand